Author Topic: Gold Mine Branch (Rabun County)  (Read 786 times)

BigAl

• Global Moderator, Chapter VP
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Gold Mine Branch (Rabun County)
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
Gold Mine Branch

Land Status: Public; Chattahoochee National Forest, Clayton District Ranger, Rabun County, Georgia

District Ranger phone (706) 782-3320

Gold Mine Branch is a tributary of Warwoman Creek.

Access: 

Rabun County is the Northeastern most county in Georgia.

From Highlands, North Carolina follow 28 South into Georgia. Proceed south on 28 and turn right on to Warwoman Road. Continue along Warwoman road until you come to Willis Knob Road (FR 157) on the left. Turn left here and follow the gravel road until you cross the creek. From here you can go upstream or downstream for a long ways.

From Clayton, GA go East on Warwoman Road until you come to Willis Knob Road and go right. Then follow directions above.

Regulations: No Sluicing or Dredging is allowed. Panning is allowed without a permit. It is always best to check current regulations here as things have changed a few times in the past.

Where and how to find the gold:  This is a small branch and I only had a couple of hours to check it out. I went upstream and found some small gold, mainly where I could bust out some bedrock. The bedrock is very hard and filled with quartz stringers to the point that it fractures in small blocks along the stringer faces. This must trap gold in these small cracks because this was the most productive way to find gold there. I suspect that the better gold is downstream, but that is only a guess as I haven't tried it yet. Maybe someday.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:55:18 PM by BigAl »
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818