Author Topic: Newb question - Holston River  (Read 771 times)

10sedan

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
Newb question - Holston River
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
New member here.  Waiting on my newb kit from gpaa...yeah, that new.  Mostly interested in panning at this point.  I happen to own riverfront property on the Holston, below Cherokee.

Would it be worth it to pan there? I haven't seen that river mentioned in any forum anywhere, but it's such easy access for me, I would like to use it as a training ground for panning.

Thanks! Dan

Chuck Pharis

• Chapter President - Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Almost retired 1500 to 1749 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text!
    • http://www.pharis-video.com
Re: Newb question - Holston River
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
Hi and welcome to the GPAA. You will never know if there is gold there unless you test pan.
It is amazing how many find gold just by looking for it. Of COURSE you want to try and see if any gold is there. You might se surprised at what you find!
Be sure to dig deep and not just in the top layer of gravel. Don't try just one area, try everywhere.
Let us know if you find any gold and we will be right over  8)
Good luck,
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to date) and Chairman Of The Board of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, LDMA[/size]

D-Ferguson

• Old Timer: 500 to 749 posts
  • 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
if it's like the clinch river below Norris dam you might want to find out if TVA controls it. if they do you can't disturb any part of it below the flood line. I know a guy that cut the brush on his river front property to be able to put his canoe in and they fined him for destruction of government owned   property.
GPAA Member
GPOC member

MeatHntr

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
We need totake our country back ! >:(
I'm for Killing & Grilling

10sedan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
Had a great time, but didn't find anything.  First time ever panning.  I was down probably 12 inches and covered 3-4 different locations. 

I really didn't know what I was looking at.  So, I just panned down to a half cup or so of sand, and once i started seeing a lot of black specks in the sand, I poured all that off into a separate bucket.

I did that 10-12 times, and took that bucket back up to the cabin.  I guess there could be some powdery gold hidden around that black sand.  I'm going to look at that next. 

Fun day, gold or not.

Rob 2specks

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • Once 2specks, always 2specks, got it?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
Im far from a gold expert. Im not even close. But i think about any river would have trace amounts of gold even if it took a day to find a flake..  :P