Author Topic: gravity dredge  (Read 537 times)

samcox

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • ck out my yt vids: Look up little river Gold
gravity dredge
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
is it possible to bypass the mech permit and use a 50 or 100 ft pc of hose to feed a dredge or low hibanker with sufficient water to process material? using little river as an example I know we need about 1 ft of fall per 30 feet of length only in a couple places could it work there but at coker cr and other places I think a gravity fed banker could feed enough water to work material, or create enough vacuum to dredge to the banker: thoughts:
my videos on youtube are under  Adventures with sam and Victoria. I have several playlist so look at the prospecting list for some goofy prospecting vids, Be blessed, and enjoy!

Cody

• Board_Of_Directors
  • Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
  • Prospector Cody Eastcoastprospecting.com
    • East Coast Prospecting
Re: gravity dredge
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 10:14:00 PM »
I would imagine so, however not to sure on this. I did how ever use my scuba tank and dive gear today.... But found fly poop... :(
Cody Frye
GPAA Member
Prospector Cody on Youtube
www.Eastcoastprospecting.com
www.Shopporterstire.com

samcox

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
nice was it cold? Cody I may go the weekend of the 30th to our fav spot on L.R. sunday afternoon... you game?
my videos on youtube are under  Adventures with sam and Victoria. I have several playlist so look at the prospecting list for some goofy prospecting vids, Be blessed, and enjoy!

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
We built a gravity dredge years ago on Lower Coker. No matter where we moved it we could not get the material to totally flow through the 20ft poop tube. We spent an entire day adjusting it with no luck. Lots of issues. Not enough elevation, water flow, etc. we moved it up and down the creek and very little material even made it out the lower end. We finally gave up. If anyone can make one that works, please post photos. As long as there are no moving motorized parts, it should be legal to use.
Chuck
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:25:19 PM by Chuck Pharis »
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

Cody

• Board_Of_Directors
  • Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
  • Prospector Cody Eastcoastprospecting.com
    • East Coast Prospecting
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »
Wet suit same, That was the first time I had ever been in one.. It was amazing! I was under for about 15 mins the last 2-3 mins I was getting cold. I may try sam, SUndays are always rough for me lol.
Cody Frye
GPAA Member
Prospector Cody on Youtube
www.Eastcoastprospecting.com
www.Shopporterstire.com

samcox

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »
i wonder if coker creek falls would be good to try a gravty dredge or at the falls on wildcat get 100' of 3 inch corrigated and toss the one end over the fall to a person running s sluice on the lower end and then with rhe 50 feet above vac the creek... im presuming it would work never been at either location.

chiptrip

• Administrator
  • Old Timer: 500 to 749 posts
  • cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
i wonder if coker creek falls would be good to try a gravty dredge or at the falls on wildcat get 100' of 3 inch corrigated and toss the one end over the fall to a person running s sluice on the lower end and then with rhe 50 feet above vac the creek... im presuming it would work never been at either location.
The feed pipe would need to reduce in size at least once during the fall.  The diameter of the dredge ontake would also need to be smaller than the final diameter of the feeder pipe. Smooth wall pipe would work best.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:57:13 PM by chiptrip »
Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

samcox

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 09:30:38 AM »
the vids ive seen depicting the success of a gravity dredge were at min 100 ft long and had atleast 10 ft of fall a reducter was used at nozzle end every time. 1 day ill try this!!!!

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:10 AM »
Check on a ram-pump mechanism...

HDshovelEd

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:47:45 PM »
Check on a ram-pump mechanism...

Ram pump would be a good idea. But it will not be sufficient enough to keep enough water in a reservoir for it to work..

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 06:14:07 AM »
Ram pump would be a good idea. But it will not be sufficient enough to keep enough water in a reservoir for it to work..
I definately agree that a ram pump would not work as a power source for a dredge, but for a highbanker it might. 
The intake specs for a ram might be helpful when considering a gravity feed dredge though, which was the point i did not make so clearly on that post.