Author Topic: Mill Branch  (Read 1440 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Mill Branch
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »
Mill Branch

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Ocoee Ranger District, Lower section of the creek is in Monroe County and the upper section is in Polk County, but both fall under the Ocoee Ranger District jurisdiction.

Mill branch is a tributary of Coker Creek.

GPS Coordinates: - 35.20892, - 84.34020

Access: 
From Tellico Plains follow 68 South through Coker Creek and Ironsburg community. Immediately before the Polk County line turn left onto Forest Road 311 (I can't remember the road name) toward Buck Bald. At about 1/2 mile there is a parking area. You will see a narrow, flat valley on the left. Follow it down to the creek. The distance is about 200 yards. There should also be access points along the road further up, but I haven't scouted those yet.

Regulations: No Dredging is allowed. Sluicing and panning are allowed without a permit.

Where and how to find the gold:  I have only tried this location once and so far the gold was mostly fines. Gold was kind of hard to find, and spotty at best. The creek is mostly in a wide flat in the area that I tried. Bedrock is visible in some places. Extensive workings are evident from many years ago, testifying that good quantities of gold were found here. It appears that the valley ?tightens up? further upstream in the area of FR 2131-1 and the gold may be better up there. That area is still on my to-do list.

The black sand is almost all magnetic and lots of small, magnetic "cubes" probably Magnetite after Pyrite? can be found. It is an interesting area to say the least and deserves more attention. Anyone game?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:36:28 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748