Author Topic: Lyons Creek  (Read 2138 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Lyons Creek
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
Lyons Creek

Lyons Creek is a tributary of Tellico River.

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Tellico Ranger District, Monroe Co., TN

GPS Coordinates: - 35.35045, - 84.25904

Access:  From Tellico Plains take 165 (Cherohala Skyway) approximately 2 miles and go right on Old Furnace Road. (This will be directly across from Tellico beach). Go just beyond the National Forest gate and park out of the road. Go downhill to the right about 100 yards to the creek.

Regulations: Dredging is allowed year round with the permit. Sluicing and panning are allowed with a permit. Good luck getting a dredge in and out of here.

Where and how to find the gold:  I have only tried this one area for about an hour and only managed a couple of fines, but where there's some there's more. It's a nice looking creek with plenty of water and lots of exposed bedrock. This is the only easy access as the creek becomes very remote very quickly. By all indications this creek should have some good gold. Maybe a few strong willed prospectors will check this one out and give me a report???

Update June 10, 2012: I went back for a follow up visit today and we spent about 2 hours sampling up the creek. We found no gold, almost no black sand, and the only heavy minerals we found were a few scattered limonite cubes. This is a really beautiful creek but the likelihood of good gold at this point seems minimal to me. If anyone has any experience to the contrary let me know.

Here is a link to a video of Evan and myself panning at Lyons Creek. We didn't find any gold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxOQqFoVuhc&feature=channel&list=UL
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:41:42 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748