Author Topic: Citico Creek  (Read 2940 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Citico Creek
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »
Citico Creek

Citico Creek is a tributary of the Little Tennessee River.

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Tellico Ranger District, Monroe Co., TN

GPS Coordinates: - 35.48719, - 84.12057

Access: 
From Vonore take State Route 360 off of Highway 411 and drive several miles until you come to Citico Creek Road. Go left and follow Citico Creek road for several miles again (sorry, I don't have the exact distances) until you come to the creek. The road will follow the creek for a long ways and there are several pull-offs along the way. Please note that the run of creek from the mouth to Bark Camp Branch is closed to prospecting. The area from Bark Camp up to Doublecamp is still open to panning and sluicing.

Regulations: No dredging allowed. Sluicing and panning are allowed with a permit. No prospecting of any kind in the Wilderness Areas which encompasses the Citico Creek headwaters. There may be other specific regulations in other areas as well. Contact the Ranger Station for more info.

Where and how to find the gold:
  I have personally only done some sampling here a couple of times but I have found  fines and a few decent sized flakes. There is historical documentation to indicate that gold was mined in the Citico Creek drainage. Very large creek and potential gold in some feeder creeks as well. Watch out for snakes as they are common in this creek. The scenery here is worth the trip as well.

MORE REPORTS NEEDED.
If anyone has more information on gold here please let me know.

Here is a link to a short video of me working at Citico Creek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0x5LR8S-3M&feature=g-upl
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:40:44 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748