Author Topic: Tobe Creek  (Read 1877 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Tobe Creek
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »
Tobe Creek

Tobe Creek is a tributary of Sixmile Creek, which is a tributary of Wildcat Creek, which is a tributary of Tellico River.

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Tellico Ranger District, Monroe Co., TN

GPS Coordinates: - 35.29958, - 84.22874

Access: 
From Tellico Plains take 165 (Cherohala Skyway) and then bear right onto 210 (River Road). About 3/4 miles after turning on 210 turn right onto 384 (across from Ranger Station). Go approximately 5 1/2 miles and you will cross the creek directly across from where FR126 turns off.. You can park there and go upstream or downstream for a long ways. There is a nice waterfall downstream from the bridge. You can also access this location from Coker Creek area by taking Smithfield Road off of Highway 68 and follow it until it becomes FR384. From there it is about one mile.

Regulations: Dredging is allowed year round with the permit. Sluicing and panning are allowed with a permit.

Where and how to find the gold:  The gold can be hard to find at times and is mostly fines for me so far. Keep moving and sampling until you find it. Do a lot of sample paining to determine the location of a good area. There is ample bedrock and the better gold will be in bedrock cracks and depressions. Gold is minimal in gravel bars.

Here is a video of me panning at Tobe Creek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2c1rOSf9jc&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:39:01 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748