Author Topic: Land Branch  (Read 1542 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Land Branch
« on: May 30, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
Land Branch

This is a tributary of the Hiwassee River.

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Polk County, Tennessee, Ocoee Ranger District

Access: 
From Tellico Plains follow 68 South through Coker Creek passing the Polk County line. Go to the second pull-off on the right and pull out and park at FS 2135 / 2135A. This road is gated so you will have to park at the gate (do not block it) and walk in. Follow 2135A for about 3/4 mile until you come to the creek. You can go upstream and downstream for a long distance here.

Regulations: No Dredging is allowed. Sluicing and panning are allowed without a permit.

Where and how to find the gold:  I have only been here one time and was a little disappointed with the gold. The branch is small but has lots of exposed bedrock. It shows quite a bit of quartz and black sand, but I only found a few specks. It may bear investigation further upstream or downstream as I only worked a small area. It is a very nice walk and a very pretty area, but pretty remote and moderately steep coming back out. The undergrowth is thick, particularly along the creek and there are many trees down over the trail.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:49:36 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748