Author Topic: Conasauga Creek  (Read 2462 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Conasauga Creek
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
Conasauga Creek

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Tellico Ranger District, Monroe County, Tennessee

Access: 
From Tellico Plains follow highway 68 South toward Coker Creek. At about 1 1/2 miles past Tellico Plains turn right onto Old Highway 68. Continue on Old 68 and it will turn into FR 341. After several miles you will come to a place where the road crosses the creek. You can follow this road alongside the creek for a short distance before the road leaves the creek. If I remember correctly you will cross Conasauga twice in a short distance.

Regulations: No dredging is permitted. Sluicing and panning are allowed with a permit.

Where and how to find the gold:  Conasauga is a fairly large creek with lots of bends and gravel bars. There is exposed bedrock in some locations as well so take a sucker tube. The better gold will probably be in bedrock cracks and depressions. Gravel bars don't seem to be too productive.

I have tried Conasauga three times now and found only small amounts of gold. I have tried bedrock, gravel bars, inside bends, and feeder creeks with marginal success. I do have good account of some pickers coming from somewhere in the creek. If you are willing to take a gamble give it a try. It is a great location to spend a day with or without gold. Any who knows, you might get lucky.

If you continue on to the third crossing you will be crossing Flemmings creek. I have never tried that one but it would be worth checking out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:37:54 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748