Author Topic: West Prong Little Pigeon River - Pigeon Forge (Sevier County)  (Read 3809 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
West Prong Little Pigeon River

Land Status: Private; Sevier County, Tennessee

Access: 
From Sevierville follow highway 441 South toward Pigeon Forge. The best access is along the road that follows the river from the South end of town downstream to about traffic light #3 (I think). The best place I have been is behind the Dixie Stampede and Family Inn. DO NOT PARK IN THE DIXIE STAMPEDE PARKING LOT.  The Family Inn is normally not too busy and they will probably let you park in their parking lot.

Regulations: Whatever you can work out with a willing landowner. Other than that I would stick to panning. As of July 27, 2012 this area is limited to panning and sluicing only. NO DREDGING IS ALLOWED.

Where and how to find the gold:  The West Prong is a nice small river with lots of is exposed bedrock in some locations so take a sucker tube. The better gold will be in bedrock cracks and depressions. Look below bedrock ledges and downstream from large obstructions (i.e. boulders, tree roots).

I have been many times and always find decent gold. So far mainly flakes of varying sizes. There is a lot of lead shot in here too so haul it out and help clean up the river.

Warning: DO NOT GO DOWNSTREAM FROM THE WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT. THEY HAD A LARGE SEWAGE SPILL LAST YEAR. IF YOU GO BELOW THERE YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF UP S**T CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE.

Additionally the water quality anywhere along this stretch is posted as not fit for human contact. Either wear gloves or wash you hands thoroughly after you are done. I would avoid this area if you have any open wounds on your hands, and don't dive in here.

Note: Do not go above Gatlinburg into the National Park Section. They will not be happy, and then you will not be happy, and it will not be my fault for not telling you.
. Also I have heard that panning is not allowed along the parkway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

With all of that said I always enjoy working this location as it is not well known for gold.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:37:51 AM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748