Author Topic: Rooster Ridge (Our GPAA property)  (Read 4080 times)

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
Rooster Ridge (Our GPAA property)
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
I have wanted to post information on our GPAA Rooster property for a long time.
For those who have not been here before, we are located about 3 3/4 miles south of the tiny town of Coker Creek TN on TN Hwy 68. Look for the GPAA sign on the east side of the road.
The property rules and detailed information are posted on the Forum so I won't go into that here.
There IS gold in the creek on our property. Both flood gold and old gold that was put there many years ago. The main problem "Newbies" have, is finding it.
What you do NOT want to do is walk up to the creek and pan the loose (top) gravel near the banks or in the creek. You might find a little gold there if the water was high the week before, but almost all of the top loose gravel has been panned out. I see so many digging in the top few inches and saying "I can't find any gold". Our GPAA property gets hit heavy so you have to know where to look. It will depend on what method you decide to use. If dredging, go DEEP. The worse place to dredge is up the creek from the toilet where there is easy access to the creek. Almost all the material there is dredge tailings. Even if they look packed in, they are probably dredge tailings. Everyone goes there first so don't waste a lot of time there during the summer months. It will be good again if we have heavy rains, but not right now. The first place I would dredge (or pan, high bank and dig) is into the small grass covered islands between the toilet and the bridge going to the rear of the property. The gold will come through the bridge and hit those islands. You will need to break up the over burden "mud and grass" and dredge or dig deep into the material down to gravel. We want to totally remove those islands, so go for it! Direct your tailings towards the bank where the large leaning tree is. NEVER dredge into any banks on our property. Dredge deep and look for other dredge holes. Let someone else do the digging for you and work into the sides of the holes. This also goes for high banking, sucker tubing, and digging anywhere on our property.
Put your high banker in the water and not on the land if you can help it. Do not throw rocks or dirt on the land near the creek. Try and build up the banks where others have dug into them.
Another good place for dredging is behind the cabin near the far side OR up the creek North of the cabin. You will have to go deep but gold is there. The holes can be over your head so be careful! Do not dredge past the sign over the road past the cabin or past the sign near the North end of the property when the land owner drives his tractor across the creek. Read the posted signs and obey them!
Panning is decent everywhere but you need to dig deep. Climb through the weeds and get to places where others do not want to prospect. Look on the clay layers and dig down to bedrock, in the rock cracks or in the sides of dredge holes. You will not find a lot of gold unless you get in the water! Most of the time, there are few places to put a sluice as the water runs slow. You may build a dam for your sluice but please break it up after you leave. You may leave the dam alone near the North end of the property near the upper bridge. That is a nice place to put your sluice box to run material through. Do not prospect past the North bridge or on the road in the creek!!! Also do not pan or sluice past the power lines in the upper property where the tent camping area is. That is private land. If you see the land owner past the power lines, be kind to him. He tolerates us and will be upset of you camp or prospect on his land. If asked to move say "I am sorry" and move as fast as you can.
I still plan to get my back hoe up to the property soon; I hope in a few weeks. I had some issues at home and needed it there. When I do, I will open up some of the creek behind the cabin and make dirt piles for high bankers and panners. I will let everyone know when this will happen.
Remember, only GPAA members can dredge, high bank, use a sucker tube and metal detect. Guests can only pan, sluice and tend your dredge. They can NOT touch the nozzle.
I am working on a map of our property and hope to post it here soon.
I will also post property photos as soon as I can.
Many use our property as a base camp and prospect in other areas. This is fine, just read the rules and find some GOLD!
Please post photos of the gold you find on our property so others can see it. We WANT you to find gold so if you have any questions, please ask us.
Gold is not easy to find and will not jump right into your pan. You have to work for it!
If you do not find gold in one place, move a few feet and test pan again. Always test pan before you start a major prospecting operation.
Again, there IS gold on our GPAA property but you have to work to get it. Don't give up if you don't find gold right away. It might take hours but you WILL find it. The gold is small but some nice pickers have been found recently! There is a photo of a nice picker on the home page of our web site.   
Chuck

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:22:13 PM by Chuck Pharis »
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

Gary Rollins

Re: Rooster Ridge (Our GPAA property)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
as a new member I say thank you for the information. this is exactly like what I asked for when I spoke to you on the phone!!!!!

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
We are here to help you when you need us.
Good luck and find some good gold.
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.

Tn Guy

• MercuryBoarder
  • Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »
Hey there aint no gold there......  LOL  dont tell them where my honey holes are.... :-X  i wouldnt dig too close to the outhouse! you might get a suprise you dont want  :P

mikepayne

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
The last post is right. There is not any gold on the property lol. Gold is there just have to find it. I will be down for five days labor day weekend. I am the first rv on the right coming in. Stop in.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:24:07 AM by mikepayne »

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
Hey Mike, why come down where there is no gold here? LOL! Stay home and let US locals get it,,,,
Have a great trip,
Chuck
Chuck Pharis

Gary Rollins

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
I plan on coming down on the 14th-17th for my birthday to get some of that gold that ain't there ( L.O.L) I hope that the meeting is on those days so I can get some pointers.

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »
Hi, the meeting is at 10 am on Sept 15. Yes there is still gold here, but you have to dig for it.
You might also want to check out the other local areas for gold. Look under "places to prospect for gold" in the forum.
Good luck,
Chuck
Chuck Pharis

golddaddy

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »
hi what is the most anyone has found in tennessee panning thank you,i just want to give it a try and have some fun at it.what is the best time of year to come down to pan for gold thx a million roger

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »
hi what is the most anyone has found in tennessee panning thank you,i just want to give it a try and have some fun at it.what is the best time of year to come down to pan for gold thx a million roger

Do you mean the most in one day?
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

sysbee

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »

I've never got skunked? Least a few flakes... The most a few grams on average expect 0 to .25 gram if you work hard/ lucky. The least was panning my most was from dredging ..Coker is not bad you will find gold wildcat has some good gold, tellico river where wildcat dumps into and below has gold if your going up stream stay on the right side it better then the left in most spots right past kat's diner there is a pull off on the left past the forest sign stay on the right side and work out to about or up to 8' feet out a sucker tube is nice there you will find so e gold there also
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:27:48 PM by sysbee »
Dredgers like it deep

corundumaniac

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:41 PM »
Chuck,

Thanks for the bad news.  I was hoping there were flakes and nuggets from top to bottom like in our mine.   

Did I tell you my best day? 

I got about 2-1/2 ounces out of five 5-gallon buckets.  I was using a portable mini-sluice with half by half hardware cloth in the headbox, and as I recall five or six nuggests hung there. 

Being fairly new at the game then, I thought gold mining was as easy as picking cherries; but nooooooooo!

Do you have a long-handled spade I can use to dig deep when I join y'all in May?

I can't find my pan, either.

Cheers,
Will

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
The good news is, with all the rain and some snow run off, the creeks are running high and fast. When the water level goes down, there will be a lot of new gold brought in.
Chuck
Chuck Pharis

corundumaniac

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »
Chuck, that's really nice!  We had that in Africa, where there were at least seven reefs "en echelon" that were releasing gold into the Binibini River every frog strangler.  Has anyone chased the gold upstream to find lode sources?  Are any known, on the property, open for sampling, ... ??

Now if only you could wash gold with ice!

Rich Robinson

• Director of Chapters - GPAA
  • Global Moderator
  • Tennessee State Director,
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
Awesome Chuck, I can't wait to hit the creek there... Great news!!!!
Former Tennessee State Director rrobinson1791@gmail.com
615-587-3397

sysbee

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
The good news is, with all the rain and some snow run off, the creeks are running high and fast. When the water level goes down, there will be a lot of new gold brought in.
Chuck

Yes there will be a ton of gold to be found you better get there before me!
Dredgers like it deep

eawebb

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
I am planning a trip to Rooster Ridge this month or early March. Are the Islands still there to dig and dredge? I like to go where no one has been. Thanks. Earl

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
Yes, you may dig, dredge or high bank into the islands. Just stay away from the banks. Please put your tailings up against the banks.
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Pharis