Author Topic: hand dredges  (Read 6774 times)

mwine87

hand dredges
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
ive been looking at a couple of hand dredges.the gold n sand and the sandman system.anyone have any pros and cons on these pieces of equipment?

Nc/tn digger

Re: hand dredges
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
Gold and sand X stream works great its able to work underwater which allows you to go as deep as you want. It comes with a 2 gal bucket that is hooked up to the hand dredge with a hse also included. as well as three different heads you can use. only issue ive had is some times little flat rocks get caught inside and will stop the check valve from closing. takes a few mins to get them out but other then that love it. Dont know much about the other. You can make ur own very easy and works well. you can find the info u need for that on this side or do a search on you tube hope this helped

ARC

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
I built one just like the Gold-n-Sand hand dredge. Mine tends to get stopped up several times a day and they are a real workout. In order to keep the hose from getting plugged up you either keep it pumping or pump several times in only water to flush everything out of the hose. They work good in areas where there is alot more sand than rock and underneath boulders.

The hand dredges don't move as much material as what one would think.

andy taylor

• Old Timer: 500 to 749 posts
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »
i  had made a system like the god and sand years ago and plugups were a problem with flat rocks.they can be a workout after alot of steady pumping.a smooth hose is alot better than one that has ribs like a shopvac hose for example.they will stay flushed out better.
if'n i had my druthers i'd druther be huntin' purdy yeller rocks.

ARC

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
Yup! A smooth hose would be ten times better. Mine has the ribbed hose and I always had to let it dry out and beat it with a stick to shake out the gold and black sand stuck inside. Sometimes a rock would pin open the intake valve and I would loose everything from the previous pump.

andy taylor

• Old Timer: 500 to 749 posts
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »
i had used a discharge hose for a washing machine.it has a hard bend for the drainpipe that i put into bucket or sluicebox.
if'n i had my druthers i'd druther be huntin' purdy yeller rocks.

ARC

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12:10 AM »
i had used a discharge hose for a washing machine.it has a hard bend for the drainpipe that i put into bucket or sluicebox.

That discharge pipe never crossed my mind. It would work! But I have a new toy now and hand dredging is the farthest from my mind now. I am already starting a pretty good collection of stuff I rarely use anymore. When does it stop! LOL  :D

Goldtherapy

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
ive been looking at a couple of hand dredges.the gold n sand and the sandman system.anyone have any pros and cons on these pieces of equipment?

You can spend $30 or less on 10' material of 2" and 1" (I think) and make 3 hand dredges. Each unit will need an elbow or coupler for elbow and smaller nozzle attachments. The top end will need a 90 degree and end cap with a small piece of pipe between them.

You can get fancy and add a test plug for a plunger and drill out a 2" cap for the main tube so it glides true.

Before you spend a lot it may benefit to figure out if you are going to be power sluicing or crevicing etc.. Hiking to remote locations with hoses and buckets in tow will get cumbersome and heavy.

I have a cheap build video in the DIY or my videos. It works for me. Many ways to these things for cheap.

Good luck,
Bryan

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
Just a suggestion to everyone. Most are now calling these "Sucker Tubes".
The word "Dredge" used anywhere can cause confusion to those who don't know what it is.
We had to teach the state of Tennessee what a "Sucker Tube" was and now we can use them without issues. As we all know, a "Sucker Tube" causes less damage that any shovel.  8)
I never leave home without one!
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

mwine87

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
thank you all for the suggestions.i already own a couple of "sucker tubes" that i love and use every time i go and i agree they cause alot less damage than a shovel.i was just interested on the sucker tubes with a hose that ran to a bucket didnt know if anyone had tried those

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »
I have tried the one with the bucket and they work fine. For me it is too much to carry so I stick with my simple (sucker tube).
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

mwine87

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
thank you..i just ordered the sandman!!cant wait