Author Topic: gold n sand sucker tube question  (Read 4492 times)

Keith Shadwick

gold n sand sucker tube question
« on: March 25, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »
Has anyone used the gold n sand sucker tube and what were your likes and dislikes? Does it clog up with gravel often or can you really continuously pump up material ? Im thinking of purchasing one qnd would like some feedback before spending a $100 on a sucker tube. I have a standard sucker tube that works great but I like the idea of the gold n sand desgn.

Tn Guy

Re: gold n sand sucker tube question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
i had a store bought Gold N sands and didnt like it much, it has a "nitch" to use it that it works great, like in clean sand or in big rocks were there is no little rocks to plug it up, i used mine about 15-20 times and always put it up and got out the old reliable 3" sucker tube. i did however make my own goldnsands after selling the new one because i found that it was great to have in the truck when riding around to clean out culvert riffles along the road, other than that i spent more time cleaning out jams in it than i did pumping sand,,,,,  others may have better luck but from the complaints ive seen online it dont look great.......

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
Pretty much the same here. Lots of jams, and the constant pumping is a real workout. I use my 2" sucker 99% of the time.

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

Nc/tn digger

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
It takes awhile to get use to using one and nor plug it up when theres smaller gravel present. When it work its great exsp. when its deep . I have the x-stream one made to be used underwater and its great for that and for fast moving water dont lose anything then. But some days it will give u a head ache trying not to plug up the values. Good luck.

deserdog

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »
I have used the gold and sand, and another of the same type by another maker, and for me at least, neither one are worth the hassle. Especially when it comes to the amount of material that they can move compared to a regular 2 inch or 3 inch sucker tube.

Nc/tn digger

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
I agree my 2 in sucker tube moved tons more then the gold and sand , i only use mine gold n sand when im in fast moving water when I cant get a bucket to stand still or when the water is so deep the sucker tube would be completely submerger I find if i lift it up off the bottom just alittle while pumping doesnt clog as much that and i try to remove all the gravel first and use it on the bedrock or the sand in the bottom of my hole . but for normal use I always go for my homemade 2in cant beat it.

clint4005

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
yes i have and just have built a 3in sucker tube for a third of what you paid for the one you have it never has clog up yet