Author Topic: it seems I'm the only one  (Read 4795 times)

Keith Shadwick

it seems I'm the only one
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
I purchased a bazooka sluice a few weeks ago the mini and of course made the trip to coker a few days later. After running a few buckets of material I noticed I wasn't finding to much color. So I started panning everthing instead of running it through the sluice and almost immediately started finding more color. I wasn't sure if I was blowing the gold out or just found a better pocket so I returned this past weekend with a regular sluice and the bazooka. I set the bazooka up and put the other sluice behind it to catch the tailings. I found a lot of gold in the second sluice.
 Here is how I ran the material
 I classified everything down to a quarter of an inch and would run it using a scoop letting each scoop clear before the next. I would run a half 5 gallon bucket then clean out the bazooka then finish the rest of the bucket. I had decent water flow everything was clearing pretty fast. I made sure I had a little slop and enough water over the top deck. I had double checked the directions after the previous trip. What could have been the problem?

Tn Guy

Re: it seems I'm the only one
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
ony thing i can think of is,

a, the water was too slow and it let the trap fill up solid and then the gold flows out,

b, the water was too fast for the mini and it was blowing it out...

nx4cnx4c

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »
As TN Guy said or the tubes in the bottom have got stopped up were not enough flow is going into the trap.

Tn Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
As TN Guy said or the tubes in the bottom have got stopped up were not enough flow is going into the trap.

yes i forgot about that... i had a leaf get into mine and stop up one tube which in return wasnt letting enough water through to keep the trap fluid

Keith Shadwick

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
I thought maybe I should classify as much. I only did a half bucket at a time because the trap was filling up but im pretty it does fill up but its suppose to liquify so the gold can drop in is that right or when it gets full its time to clean it. I fed it slow while feeding it because it was classified. I will check for clogs. Love the size and portability of it I hope I can figure it out

Tn Guy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »
I thought maybe I should classify as much. I only did a half bucket at a time because the trap was filling up but im pretty it does fill up but its suppose to liquify so the gold can drop in is that right or when it gets full its time to clean it. I fed it slow while feeding it because it was classified. I will check for clogs. Love the size and portability of it I hope I can figure it out

it will look full but IF its getting the right amount of water the trap will stay fluid... if you get down real close you should be able to see the dirt in the trap "dance" with the water moving threw it...

Keith Shadwick

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
I just checked to see if I had anything clogging the holes. Looks like everything was ok maybe I didnt have enough water flow. I will have to do another test on my next trip.

ARC

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 06:08:15 AM »
Keith,

You are most likely feeding the mini too fast. You should be able to see gravel at all times in the trap bead. If you start seeing a blond sand build up in the trap you will need to stop and slow down. The mini is designed for very small amounts of cons intermittently not a constant feed like a regular sluice or the larger Bazookas. The mini is most suitable for test panning and not a production type of running large amounts of cons. Most likely you are having a blond sand buildup and the gold can't get in the trap and getting washed out. With mine, I have to keep a watch on too much blond sand.

If you see nothing but gravel in the top of the trap chamber, you are catching every piece of gold you are dumping into it, period.   

My Bazooka is a 4 footer with a trap chamber 12" long X 3 3/8" deep X 8" wide and I can easily stop it up with a double hand full of classified cons. When you see the blond sand vanish down into the gravel on top, it is ready for another scope. Water flow or angle is not a great concern as long as the water flows over the higher slick plate on the end of the Bazooka and can peel all the sand off the main slick plate.

My best water flow and angle is when the water "V" point reaches 2/3 rds of the main slick plate. Anywhere between half and two thirds is ideal for catching micro gold and up.

I stay offline except for a hour or two a week, mostly cleaning out my email. I have also gotten rid of my cell phone. Saturdays with good weather I am usually at my spot if you need any help Keith. Good Luck!  ;)