Author Topic: Rock and Gem outing in 2015.  (Read 4095 times)

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
Rock and Gem outing in 2015.
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Will Heierman is planning a chapter rock and gem hunting outing in 2015. I have opened a topic for that outing here.
Will can post information here when he is ready.
More soon,
Chuck  8)
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

corundumaniac

Re: Rock and Gem outing in 2015.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
Hi all,

To be more precise, I am thinking of doing something in the way of planning a group outing for people interested in minerals other than gold.  I have nothing specific yet, but am open to suggestions already.  Post them here I guess. 

It will depend on my schedule next year, not yet cast in stone, whether I can do it or not.  I would guess it would not be under the aegis of the GPAA, but just a group of like-minded rockhounds.  I tentatively offered because there seems to be some interest among Coker Creek members, I enjoy such projects, and getting the tour together would teach me a lot more about prospecting sites in the southeast.   

I am dealing with final exams (as math teacher in Texas), and then am off to Montana for some gold on our own claims until mid-August.  If there is enough interest, I can begin to make a list of proposed sites and discuss all the options over the following few months.   

Regards and good hunting,
Will

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »
Count me in! I am sure our members and guests would be very interested in where possible rock and gem outing sites would be located.
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

Auprospector

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Most of the good Gem areas are near ASHEVILLE. Most are free and the best time is in the winter.
I have a list and map with directions.

corundumaniac

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »
Hi Auroprospector,

Would you share the info with me?  I can incorporate it into the list of potential sites for consideration.  Whatever I have will be distributed in this topic in the early fall. 

Localities in North Carolina I am already aware of extend from about 80 miles east of Asheville to maybe 50 miles south of Asheville to maybe 100 miles west of Asheville.  Georgia and South Carolina have gem localities too.  Many of the "most important" ones are commercially developed and these can be visited only "in season".   

Will

Auprospector

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »
Most sites came from a book I bought while I was learning how to facet cut the gems.
Rock, Gem, and Mineral Collecting in Western North Carolina by Richard James Jacquot, jr. If any one wants to see the Gems that I have already cut, just check out my facebook, or I can email pictures

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
I am definitely interested and know quite a few NC locations too.

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

corundumaniac

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:51:16 PM »
     Auroprospector, I know Rick and will contact him (and the field guide you refer to is probably in my library).  Big Al, I appreciate your help too.   

I am somewhat familiar with the corundum localities, but have never actually collected other minerals in the southeast.  The plan is to do research and see what is available.  Then, let's see who would join the group to go where. 

One question I would ask is:  "Are you interested is a serious dig (for example at a commercial mine that has day fees) or just going into the boonies and digging a hole at an unsupervised locality?"  I have found in past experiences some would be in it for entrepreneurial reasons while others just want to have some fun.  It would be important to understand these preferences as itinerary is planned and cost is estimated.     

I will get on it as soon as I return from Montana in August, and will report as developments warrant.  In the meantime, any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated and will be added to the info base.  It will be March or April before the agenda and budget are formalized. 

If you want to toss your hat into the ring early, please let me know.  So far all I know for certain is that Chuck and Big Al are interested and we seem to need a beer cooler accessible on site at all times. 

Hey, it's a start!

Will

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »
Beer definitely, but don't forget the beans!
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

corundumaniac

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
Hey Big Al,

I did not forget the beans!  I decided to eschew them for reasons of which I presume you are already aware.

Sorry, but the woods just aren't big enough!
Will