Author Topic: Peridot or Olivine in Lava Rock  (Read 6398 times)

Malec Family Mining

Peridot or Olivine in Lava Rock
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
Hey Gem Heads out there....I have a question I would like some answers to. My elderly neighbor has a softball size chuck of lava rock which she says was found here in the Morristown area. It has very visible bright green emerald colored,see through like glass minerals in it. I suspect this is either olivine or peridot.  I will try get a few pictures of the rock in question and will post when i gain permission and access. My big thing is....I keep hearing the TN is not a volcanic region.  I have found two smaller more dense versions with the same green minerals along with some yellow as well (still have them). So I know that she is being honest about its found location. How is this possible if this area has never been a volcanic region. I was told, have read, and have watched on science shows; that the mountains in the lower eastern US were created by plate tectonics long ago. Essentially part of what is now Africa broke away from the main body of land. Eventually that huge section of land slammed into the lower east coast of the US. Is this not correct? If so how is it possible to find this type of lava rock here near Morristown and near Gatlinburg is at a certain point some sort of volcanic activity occurred here? Where is it coming from....it source? Need some info. Thank you. 8)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Re: Peridot or Olivine in Lava Rock
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:18:12 PM »
I would love to see a picture of it. Though this area is not known to contain large amounts of "volcanic" rock or even Metamorphic sequences, a location of Upper Mantle intrusive Volcanism is known in the East Tennessee area  (Union County). Others are certainly possible.

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

Malec Family Mining

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »
These are pictures of the smaller pieces I have found myself near the Gatlinburg area... will try to get pictures of my neighbors larger piece to post as well :)

Auprospector

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
The pictures of the stones look blue. Can not see any clear area on the stones. Let me know if Al. can identify them . I am always interested in rocks that I can Facet cut into beautiful gems

Russell

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Looks like slag.
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

Malec Family Mining

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Looks like slag.

Lol....I seem to have a knack for that slag crap....uuuuuggghhhh! :)
There are black in person. They are light like lava rocks for there size. Definitely not metal. I will get some better pictures of the two that I have. I have also gained permission to take pictures of the neighbors larger stone. I will try to get the ones of hers tomorrow.

corundumaniac

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Regarding the possibility of olivine in your area ...

It may not be from lava in the classic sense, but could be olivine (peridot is a gem varietyy of this)  from a mateoric impact which has nothing to do with local terrestrial geology.  Pallasite meteorite fragments have been found that are laced with peridot and when slabbed they make interesting artifacts from wind chimes to lamp shades (though most reside permanently in showcases).   The first certified  "extra-terrestrial faceted gemstone" was a peridot from such a source. 

Of course when a huge rock hits the Earth's urface at speeds of thousands of miles per hour, some of the surface melts, and the shock could conceivably result in olivine phenocrysts as this "incident lava" cools.  The big meteor crater in Arizona is a locality where both mechanisms could be partially responsible for the green stuff. 

Malec Family Mining

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »
Regarding the possibility of olivine in your area ...

It may not be from lava in the classic sense, but could be olivine (peridot is a gem varietyy of this)  from a mateoric impact which has nothing to do with local terrestrial geology.  Pallasite meteorite fragments have been found that are laced with peridot and when slabbed they make interesting artifacts from wind chimes to lamp shades (though most reside permanently in showcases).   The first certified  "extra-terrestrial faceted gemstone" was a peridot from such a source. 

Of course when a huge rock hits the Earth's urface at speeds of thousands of miles per hour, some of the surface melts, and the shock could conceivably result in olivine phenocrysts as this "incident lava" cools.  The big meteor crater in Arizona is a locality where both mechanisms could be partially responsible for the green stuff.

Very through info! I will have to try and do some further research and testing. Thank you very much for your response, information, and response. :)