Author Topic: Illinois Family with Gold Fever!  (Read 1715 times)

Family Fever

Illinois Family with Gold Fever!
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »
Hi there,
My family and I did some tourist panning for Gold at a mine in Dahlonega, Georgia in December and now we have gold fever.  My kids (ages 10, 11, 13) have always loved rocks and now in the middle of a terribly cold Illinois winter we find ourselves re-purposing our sled, buying bags sand from the store and practicing our panning skills with little bb's "as gold" on our kitchen table.  We've gotten pretty good and guess you could say we have gold fever bad...not to mention cabin fever!

We are planning to come down to the Smoky Mountains March 28...April 4 (roughly) and thought it may be a great time to try some local panning.  From reading your forums I understand there has been a lot of changes in TN but we would be only participating in Class 1 action.  I have talked with Smoky Mountain staff and the Ranger station at Cherokee and Telico Chamber of Commerce...and my path has led me to the professionals associated with GPAA.

I was hoping there was something I could be pointed to or given in regards to where my family and I could camp and pan (32 feet travel trailer) or at least drive to off the road to a permitted area creek/river and pan.  I believe we will be coming from the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge direction toward the Smoky Mountains. 

We may have a sluice by them or a small hand dredge (if we make them) and I understand that the river needs to be at least 20' water width...but I was hoping you could tell me where we could go...

Any help would be great as I know our time is limited... Do you have any outings planned?

Our time is only 4 weeks away and I am praying for warmer weather! :)
Thanks so much!
Brenda

Rich Robinson

• Director of Chapters - GPAA
  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
  • Tennessee State Director,
Re: Illinois Family with Gold Fever!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
Hi there,
Well class 1 is pretty simple. You have to be in a stream with a 5' wetted width. The 20 foot rule only applies on TWRA managed lands. Class 1 includes all manual tools including hand Sucker tubesIf you are coming donw at the end of march, the new rules may be out by then. in the new rules the 20ft rule may change on TWRA lmanaged lands.. Keep checking here for more information on that. I am the Tennessee State Director for the GPAA and  and am also the person who is currently negotiating with TDEC on the new rules. Yoou can PM me on here anytime. Also my personal contact information is shown on my profile you feel free to give me a call any time. I can help direct you to places you can prospect without worry. Our Chapter in COker Creek will be having our march meeting around the time of your visit, so keep checking the forum. We have an unofficial property caretaker who is at the property all the time and if you go by he can also help you.  Pleas feel free to call if I can help you further. Hope to se you in Coker Creek...

Richard
Former Tennessee State Director rrobinson1791@gmail.com
615-587-3397

Family Fever

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
This chapter of the GPAA has been wonderful already! Thanks for sharing .... sure wish we live closer...and warmer:)

freddymac58

• Jr. Member: 50 to 99 posts
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
  ps  you can alwas check our coker creek property  info . I try to keep the weather up dates listed.at less for a week  at all times. I do get late some times because of my gold hunting too. I try to give atless 5 day out look  be safe stay warm . an hope to see you'll this spring freddymac58