Author Topic: Sluice or Rocker Box  (Read 4710 times)

Gordon6729Zippo

• Jr. Member: 50 to 99 posts
Sluice or Rocker Box
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
Howdy    Not having a lot of experience with prospecting, Looking for advice on whether to bye a sluice or build a rocker box.  Is there much difference in the results at the end of the days cleanup?  Most sluice box claim to recover fine gold  will a rocker box do the same?   would a rocker box be class 1or 2   Thanks                             
A little gold is better than no gold

chiptrip

• Administrator
  • Old Timer: 500 to 749 posts
  • cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
Re: Sluice or Rocker Box
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:04:19 AM »
A Rocker Box could be class 1 OR 2 depending on how the water is fed into it.  For example, Gold Grabber makes a really slick rockerbox (http://www.golddredgebuilders.com/rockin.html) that incorporates a manual pump into the rocking mechanism.  It would be a Class 1 tool.  If you incorporate a battery powered pump in your design, it would be considered class 2.  The distinction made by TDEC for Class 1 vs Class 2 is, does it have an electric OR gas powered motor.
  One distinction between the two is portability.  A rockerbox is not necessarily heavy, but they do tend to be bulky, where a Sluice Box tends to be more easily carried.  Both can recover fine gold depending on the matting used.
  Another distinction I would point out is water flow.  A Sluice box requires a certain level of water flow from a stream, while a rockerbox doesn't, since the water is poured or pumped into the hopper.

I hope this helps.

Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

Gordon6729Zippo

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »
Howdy,   Thanks for the info and the link to the site.  Next Question:   Would a hose laid out in a river generate enough pressure and volume to operate a rocker box efficiently?     Guessing a water hose would not be big enough.    I like to try to build my own equipment if I can seems to be more fun when you make it yourself.    If it works   Thanks                    Heavy Pans

Elagino

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:33 PM »
You talk about a topic that interests me most. I like to read you a story.

Gordon6729Zippo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
Howdy,   There are a lot of prospectors on this site if you have a question ask, I am sure that some one can answer it for you.  If you have a story about gold or prospecting we would like to hear it.  welcome to Coker Creek.

samcox

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • ck out my yt vids: Look up little river Gold
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »
i like sluicing and i have had several sluices some require alot of water some a little the key for me is spave and packability. while i think there is nothing wrong with a rocker it comes down to packing it in and packing it out for me. by nature of genetics and fondness of sweets i allready pack in a extra 100lb. so it all comes down to personal preference. i think the pendulum swings more towards sluices round here just going by what i see other with.
my videos on youtube are under  Adventures with sam and Victoria. I have several playlist so look at the prospecting list for some goofy prospecting vids, Be blessed, and enjoy!

Gordon6729Zippo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »
Howdy Sam,  I have to agree with you on space+ portability.  A sluice is better in that way and it won't soak up water to add pounds to pack out. I too have the benefit of carrying a few extra pounds so every bit helps if you can lighten your gear. 

hillbillygold

• Board_Of_Directors
  • GPAA member,WEGM member,board member,chapt. sec.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
Also.... if you go with the small portable sluice..... you can pack in more sweets  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ABrooks

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »
I'm considering buying the aurora recon sluice. I've heard good things about its ability to capture fine gold and it's very lightweight and portable.
Austin (AKA The Gold Hound)

samcox

• ck out my yt vids: Look up little river Gold
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Abrooks Go for the bigger expedition its really light as well but it handles alot more material and the feed rate is much better. the CEO at aurora will give you a few dollars off if you say samcox refer you. His name is Kevin Bell
you will love the recon as well if you want the smaller of the two. 
my videos on youtube are under  Adventures with sam and Victoria. I have several playlist so look at the prospecting list for some goofy prospecting vids, Be blessed, and enjoy!

ABrooks

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »
I might get the expedition sluice but I may end up getting the recon sluice because I can pack it in my backpack or bucket. Both sluices work very well from what I hear. Thanks for the info Sam, I'm going to get it after Christmas so I have time to decide which one to buy.  :)
Austin (AKA The Gold Hound)

Desy59

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 06:12:41 AM »
Hello! I'm not an expert in all this yet, but I'm interested in such questions. I esteem your opinions, I think it will come in handy.
dqfansurvey.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:45:23 PM by Desy59 »