Author Topic: Be Advised  (Read 3582 times)

chiptrip

• Tennessee State Director
  • Administrator
  • Old Sourdough: 750-999 posts
  • (423) 371-3049 cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
Be Advised
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
I don't want to be a jerk but it seems there has been another "incident".  So to clarify where the chapter stands on this matter:

Class 2 Prospecting REQUIRES an Notice Of Intent application Filed with, and approval by the State of Tennessee!

If you are a GPAA Member on the Chapter Lease AND have Registered with the Chapter, you may use the Chapter permit! You must follow the rules listed in that permit.

GPAA Membership DOES NOT automatically grant you, nor Guarantee you the privilege to use the Chapter permit.  Individuals found to be violating the terms of our Individual permit, or the General ARAP permit of the state may have the privilege of using the Chapter Individual permit revoked at the discretion of the Board of Directors of the Chapter.

Streams outside of the "Waters of Coker Creek" ARE NOT COVERED by the Chapter Individual Permit!

IF you have Questions please speak to a Chapter Officer, Board Member, or Email cokercreekprospector@gmail.com<br/>

Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

chiptrip

• Administrator
Re: Be Advised
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »
I do not have more detail at this time but it has been reported that a Dredge hole and tailing were found on Little River.  The member who saw the hole and tailings, investigated based on information he had received that a Dredger was found, had his dredge and vehicle confiscated by the game warden, "last Saturday".  It is not know if this individual was in any way associated with the chapter or this forum.

Those who frequent Little River may want to be a bit more cautious than normal as I'm sure law enforcement in that area are more sensitive to our activity due to this event. 

Also make sure you have a copy of the GENERAL PERMIT rules while there and understand how those apply to CLASS 1 Prospecting on Little River!

DGurley

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
  • GPAA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
Chip that did not happen on Saturday I was there all day. A man came up to me a said the park ranger ran him out of the park area on that Sunday no ticket for him. But he also said the park ranger took a mans dredge from him while he was there but he Did Not take his vehicle. He said the ranger made the man carry the dredge to his truck the rangers truck and put it in the truck for him. We have looked all over the inter net for info on this but had no luck at this time. I have a friend that's a retarded Ranger when he comes buy I will find out.

The Outlaw
Anyone want to go dredging
David Gurley

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.

digi

• MercuryBoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
How much is the permit again?  It's probably cheaper for someone to get caught 5x than to buy one.  I wish they'd open their eyes a little and loosen the restrictions.  #ProspectorLivesMatter Just sayin'

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
How much is the permit again?  It's probably cheaper for someone to get caught 5x than to buy one.  I wish they'd open their eyes a little and loosen the restrictions.  #ProspectorLivesMatter Just sayin'

Digi,
  The current fee for the General permit NOI is $50.  Once approved this is good for 5 years.  I don't know what the fine was but I'd guess it's well over $50.  The details of this can be found on the TDEC website.  Links can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Chip

digi

• MercuryBoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
Thanks Chip, the last time I checked the dredging permit was going to be thousands of dollars for a couple years.  Mix that with the limited creeks, it was going to be a suckers bet.  I knew the general permit wasn't too bad.  I miss my spot at Doc Rogers so I will forever be a hater on what they've done.  Oh the times of being the only person there for a days at a time.  Camping in the bend, stepping out of a hole and having gold stuck to your boot... or dredging and coming out to see a snake chilling on the pontoons... or...haha

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
  One thing to remember is that the fee ONLY applies to Class 2 (mechanized) efforts.  Class 1 is considered de minimis activity and has many more streams open to it.  I know that doesn't help those who are most interested in Mechanized prospecting but it is something to consider.  Little River is an example of an area where Class 2 activity is banned but Class 1 is acceptable (landowner permissions, and outside the park etc) under the general permit rules.  The same goes for Tellico River, No Class 2, but Class 1 is possible with permission, outside the forest...  using the general permit rules.

Check out the official details here: http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/entities/environment/attachments/water_permit_arap-gp_recreational-prospecting.pdf

sysbee

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »
$50 permit to pan in wildcat? For 5 years
Dredgers like it deep

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 05:49:23 AM »
Panning is class1.  There is no Notice of intent required to be filed with the state for class 1 activity.  The $50 is for the Notice of intent.  There are rules in the permit for panning.  Please make sure you follow them.

daddydave

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
I think we are well aware of what we can't do.  They have made this considerably extensive for us taxpayers!!

What we don't know is just WHERE can we prospect in the state under Class 1.  Has the TWRA and Nat'l Forest came up with such an animal??  I have no idea what a dotted-rainbow darter or google eyed mollusk looks like ~ is this left up to the digression of the ranger?

Is there some sort of a list out there available for folks to use in order to prevent us from looking over our shoulders whenever we try to enjoy the day?  It's getting awful easy to get the type of mindset that Eric Rudolph had and I don't like it!!!

Daddydave   

Tom Twosocks

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
I agree daddydave. All this Club money paid out and we cannot get straight answers.

Looks like all they want to do and are accomplishing is to Stone Roll everything.

Tom2 Socks

DGurley

• GPAA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 08:39:11 PM »
I don't think we have these in Tennessee Daddydave we have been had on this one.

It is a small perch-like fish found in freshwater streams in North America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_darter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mollusc_eye

The Outlaw
David Gurley

jeff

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »
can i use my sluice at little river? and please don't tell me to read some article somewhere on the forum. i just want to know if i can and do i need a permit.

thanks, jeff

DGurley

• GPAA Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
Yes you can use your sluice on little river and no you do not need a permit Jeff.

8)

The Outlaw
David Gurley

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 06:33:03 AM »
What we don't know is just WHERE can we prospect in the state under Class 1.  Has the TWRA and Nat'l Forest came up with such an animal?? 
Dave,
  Class 1 (non-mechanized prospecting) is open in almost all the streams where you could get permission to prospect in the state.  I think there are a few, mostly in West TN that are restricted for particularly nasty toxins but I don't specifically know what those are.  Based on your question it appears you are asking about the National Forest specifically.  Tellico Ranger District has stated on their website that panning is allowed only in Lyons Creek, and Wildcat Creek.  That is the whole list they have provided.
  TWRA doesn't have any specific control over where we are allowed to prospect as long as we follow the rules set out by TDEC.  Those rules have been posted on this forum with links to the TDEC General Permit, and the actual text of the permit.  As far as specific creeks outside the national forest, ask.  If we know the creek is specifically open we'll tell you.  If we don't know please feel free to contact TDEC and ask.  Please note that this is the General ARAP Permit, not the Chapter Individual Permit which I will address below.

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 06:49:36 AM »
All this Club money paid out and we cannot get straight answers.

Tom,
  The Chapter Paid money for our Individual Permit.  The individual permit is Very Specific to "The waters of Coker Creek" where we can acquire "Written permission".
  That I'm aware of to date, the Coker Creek GPAA Chapter is the only group in the whole state that can legally put class 2 (mechanized) equipment in the water to prospect.  That I am aware of, the only property open to that whole group for Class 2 prospecting is the Chapter lease.
  However, because the Chapter permit covers Coker Creek over private property, there are individual Chapter members who may have secured permission to prospect on that creek using the chapter permit.  While we continue to look for property as a chapter, Individuals are welcome to ask permission on their own, and are encouraged to see their own general permit in area outside the coker creek area.
  It's really that straight when it comes to the money the Chapter spent.

jeff

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
thanks outlaw.

samcox

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • ck out my yt vids: Pastor Sam and Victoria
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
Ok just thought of this: Run a craigslist add for coker creek access...
my videos on youtube are under Pastor sam and Victoria. I have several playlist so look at the prospecting list for some goofy prospecting vids, Be blessed, and enjoy!

digi

• MercuryBoarder
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »
Hmm, that may be worth a try.