Author Topic: Wildcat creek 3-29-17  (Read 2413 times)

ABrooks

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
Wildcat creek 3-29-17
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:35:03 PM »
Another nice day in the sun, at my secret spot on Wildcat creek. ;) The water was quite high and the gold was hard to find. I sampled everywhere I could without filling my wading boots, but I eventually filled both of them full of water. I finally found the gold toward the end of the day, I didn't mind getting soaked because it was down right hot. Word of advice the snakes are out and even worse the nats are coming out. :o
Austin (AKA The Gold Hound)

DGurley

• GPAA Member
Re: Wildcat creek 3-29-17
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:08:01 AM »
Looking good Austin keep it up and you will find that nugget.

The Outlaw

:D
David Gurley

Woodspirit

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »
I see old "Wildcat" is still talking to you.  ;)
It is to hear that you are moving around and not digging in one location.

This is a very impressive day's find from Wildcat. Looks to be either a good drop zone or you have found a source.
Keep digging this spot to see if the gold is getting larger. Even widen the hole. If the gold runs out then move a few feet upstream from this spot.

I can't believe Al missed this spot. LOL

It is funny to hear people say, they either find gold in the first pan or they find good gold at the end of the day.

Were these water snakes or copper heads?

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
No way I missed a spot! It is new gold since I have been down there.  :)

Good work Austin. Just leave some for seed.  8)

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

ABrooks

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »
It's funny how things happen at the creek. I didn't even think the water would be a foot or more higher than last time. I went to a bedrock outcropping that I barely could reach with the high water, and it gave me small gold and nothing big as I couldn't dig any further. I moved to a boulder and dug straight down and under it. I never got to clean it out but boulders stacked underneath the one large boulder prevented me from digging any more until the water level dropped. I need to go back because before I couldn't scrape anymore gravel up I started seeing lead shot. Tim I didn't see any snakes yesterday but I heard there was a copperhead on the walkway at dollywood. Al we need to head to the creek together sometime and maybe find new access points on Wildcat or sample different areas of creek.

Woodspirit

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
Acess points to Wildcat are few unless you like to repel from a rope. Those are some steep walls on the lower end.
I know of 5 trails to Wildcat. 2 of the 5 trails are intermediate, the rest are extreme! Especially hiking out.

Outlaw and myself cut a trail into a section of Wildcat where not many folks had explored. The last 10 yards was basically, sit on your butt and slide. The terrain was wet boulders. Created a challenge when trying to climb back out. Take two steps forward and slide back one. I must say, the gold was good.  ;)
Remember that one Al?

If you like an adventure, Wildcat can certainly give you one. Just keep a level head about you and stay safe.

Take care

ABrooks

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
Tim, you and outlaw should show me some of the other access points. At this time I'd rather go to unfamiliar locations with experienced miners. I miss the secret branch I hope things change soon I sure miss the old days. I was on the brink of a great discovery at Doc Rogers too until that was halted. :( Tim if you and outlaw head out PM me and ill meet up with you guys and learn some more. :D

Woodspirit

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
It may be awhile due to all the rain we are receiving.