Author Topic: Forum Cleanup  (Read 1280 times)

chiptrip

• Tennessee State Director
  • Administrator
  • Old Sourdough: 750-999 posts
  • (423) 371-3049 cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
Forum Cleanup
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »
  Some of you may have noticed that there have been some changes to the forum recently.  Some of this is to help us determine what topics have grown "stale", and to help us keep out Spammers.  In addition to those changes, we are doing some additional cleanup.

Some of our boards are not visible to those who have not signed into the forum. This is so we can determine how our forum is best used.  We have a Huge number of "guests" who visit the forum  often it is 40 to 50 times the number of members daily.  As an example, in the past seven hours we have had 12 members visit but over 400 unique guests".  While we can distinguish one guest from another, it limits the potential of the forum.  This restriction is not all of our boards but there are a number that are requiring forum membership to view.

Forum Accounts that have not been logged into in at least 12 months are being removed.  Many of you have seen the recent newsletter problems we have been experiencing, AGAIN.  Some of this involves the number of newsletters we send.

For those accounts removed.  They are not being flagged in any manner that would stop them from rejoining.  This is simply a housekeeping function.

Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
Re: Forum Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »
I am doing some very old and outdated forum posting cleanup in the next few weeks.
Also as Chip has posted, forum members who have not logged in for years will be removed. This will make is easier for us to send you mass emails. If you want to remain a forum member and see that you have been removed, simply join again. You may re-join with your current log-in name and old password if you want to.
Allen has asked me to condense some forum topics. They will still be there but as sub-topics.

Finally to make our forum more current and to draw more interest, we can open new topics and delete old ones. If you have suggestions for new forum topics, please post them here.
Thanks,
Chuck Pharis
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
I am also removing old chapter outing posts as they are no longer valid.
Any item listed for sale for over 6 months will also be deleted. You may re-post those items if you want.
There are some very old posts from many years ago that still contain valid information, so they will remain on the Forum.
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
We are still looking for forum new topic suggestions. The first was "Prospecting 101". A very good idea for Newbies. We are slowly working on that topic. Anyone on the Forum may add beginning prospecting information and links to those topics. Feel free to share your expert prospecting and gem hunting advise.
This is an ongoing process.
Chuck Pharis
Chuck Pharis

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »
One thing I had thought of was a series of instructional videos. Panning, sluicing, dredging, etc.
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:53:58 PM »
Yes a good idea. All of those could fit in the 101 topic.
More sub-topics can be set up within that main topic.
Now we just need the videos. Anyone volunteer to make some?
Chuck
Chuck Pharis

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 05:52:28 AM »
Not having this content was one of the complaints we got when we were trying to get the 501c3 status.  It has been something I was interested in for some time.  I think this would be best posted on the Main page rather than the forum though.  I'm in.

rolandslone

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
Plus what type of class 1 or class 2 equipment you can use at each creek.  I took a shovel to wild cat creek to find out you can only use a trowel.  Got lucky no Rangers showed up.

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
Plus what type of class 1 or class 2 equipment you can use at each creek.  I took a shovel to wild cat creek to find out you can only use a trowel.  Got lucky no Rangers showed up.
According to the Cherokee national forest website,  wildcat creek is open to class 1 prospecting,  which includes a #2 shovel.  They do include rhetoric on the pdf about use of a trowel but that is not what they state is a limit.  Therefore you would have been fine if a ranger had shown up.

Prospector Cody

• Board_Of_Directors
  • Jr. Member: 50 to 99 posts
    • Tn Prospecting
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
I am in to help also regarding the videos. Let me know what you need to me to do.
Cody Frye
GPAA Member
Tnprospecting.com

Chuck Pharis

• Administrator
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
Thanks. Need to work on this as links to videos are much better than posting the videos here.
Size is the issue as the forum only has so much available space.
The best method right now is to post links to You Tube videos.
Allen is looking into a You Tube page for our chapter.
More info soon.
Chuck
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:30:03 PM by Chuck Pharis »
Chuck Pharis