Author Topic: Question  (Read 616 times)

rolandslone

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
Question
« on: August 06, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
Was driving along on OLD WALLARD DRIVE and little river was on my left.  Can you prospect along that part?

Woodspirit

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
Only if you obtain permission from the land owner.

"Outlaw" and I have talked to several land owners. They generally don't care if you prospect the river however they won't let you prospect because if someone sees you prospecting on their land, then this opens the door for others.
One man told us he was so tired of people asking so he finally put up a "NO TRESPASSING" sign.

There are a few locations in which the land owner has granted permission. Once this occurs it seems everyone stops and takes advantage of there offer.

One location where the Blue Ridge Parkway (bridge) crosses Little River, this property belongs to the Smoky Mountain National Park. Highly Forbidden!

You live in Sevierville, have you tried prospecting the Little Pigeon River coming out of Pittman Center?
Or the West Prong coming out of Pigeon Forge?

Good luck

rolandslone

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:05:15 PM »
No not yet.  Did not think there would be any there.  Drove by Pittman center the river look good for prospecting

ABrooks

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
I've tried the Little Pigeon River prong that goes to the Pittman center and came up empty handed, but I've heard rumors of decent gold coming out of there, I need to go back and spend more time there. The problem is access points, there aren't many on either of the prongs of the Little Pigeon River. The West prong going through Pigeon Forge I've found gold in before, good amounts of quartz in the streambed too, a good gold indicator. I have a theory on a possible source of the gold in the area, but can't actually sample where I think its coming from. From what I can tell either of the prongs of the Little Pigeon River should have decent gold in them.
Austin (AKA The Gold Hound)

hillbillygold

• Board_Of_Directors
  • Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • GPAA; WEGM;Board member;Chapter Secretary 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
 There are several places you can access Little River and prospect.... with that said don't cross private property with out permission and stay 100 - 150 feet ( not sure the exact distance) from the parkway overpass were it crosses the river. There is a marker on the horse farm side of the road on the downstream side of the bridge. Stay below it and your ok. There is access on the upstream side also. As with any were ... respect and courtesy go along way. If you bring it in - take it out with you. If you see trash ... even if its not yours ... try to clean it up..... Its to are benefit. We no it was the rafters and campers and locals but someone will be blamed and we all no who they will blame. I try to take and bring and extra bag or bucket any were I go and try to clean what I see when I leave. Last time I was there I hauled out 3 nasty diapers a bunch of cans and left over trash some sorry disrespectful a**holes left there. No it wasn't mine.... but I like to go there and don't want to be blamed for it and get run out of there. Please fill in your holes to ... a lot of different folks utilize the river young and old. I have been going there for about 4 years and have never had a bad run in with any one... but if someone is upset that your there - pick up and move on ... if you upset the locals you will lose the battle and could very likely have a very bad day with the law or the rangers and they do patrol the area fairly regular.