Author Topic: Requirements for a Lease  (Read 896 times)

chiptrip

• Tennessee State Director
  • Administrator
  • Old Sourdough: 750-999 posts
  • (423) 371-3049 cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
Requirements for a Lease
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
As State Director I have recently been asked to help assemble a checklist to help find new leases, not just in Tennessee but everywhere in the East.

I can do this but I only know what I like to see in a lease but what I really want is to know what you all would like to see?  RV Hook-up?  Full bathhouse? Great Gold?  The sky is the limit on this.  not that it can all be accommodated but it helps.

What are the minimum requirements you would expect?  Panning only?  Day use only?  a property that is only accessible by billy goat?  What if it has only a little gold but has gems, or other interesting minerals?  Completely primitive?

I need to hear from everybody, not just the few vocal folks out there.  Experience is less important in your answer, than the answer itself.  No answer is wrong.  This will help as the National Organization looks to find new property to be used in the east.

Thanks in advance...

Chip
Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

rolandslone

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
Re: Requirements for a Lease
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
How about places to put tents?  Access to the site?

jeff

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
i would prefer great gold. camping, bathing and all the other stuff doesn't matter to me, just great gold. hand tools only would be nice, that way everyone has a shot at some nice gold, not just the dredges. i think we could get a great lease if we go in with lower expectations. many landowners don't want rv's set up on the property for 6 or 8 months and portable buildings going up everywhere. i think we should start with great gold, day use or primitive camping only and maybe a shed to hold the monthly meeting. after establishing ourselves and proving to a landowner we can take care of the property, then we could request permission to upgrade the property. i just don't think we should spend a ton of money on a glorified campground with little to no gold. just my 2.

jeff howard

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
i would prefer great gold.

Ok, this is a sincere question. Obviously it's gold, but how much makes it "great"?

darylt01

• Chapter Treasurer 2017-2018
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »
Chip,
My two cents.

Class 1 min, Class 2 if possible. If the owner wanted to restrict it to seasons, I feel that would be acceptable.
It would be nice to have a restroom / bath house or just a restroom if possible.
If possible a min of 5 acres access for dry camping only. If RV ability is there great, but not required.
If camping is allowed it needs to be limited to a max of 7 days on 7 days offsite. No homesteading
Gold of course(stream access), but if we were able to put in a highbanking pond and a dig site access that would be great, this would allow us to take some stress off the stream from season to season.
Gems and/or other mineral access a plus. Historical relics and fossils is a cool add on, this would help in using our metal detectors.
It would be nice to have a meeting house or covered picnic area, we could help with this if the property is a good site.
Easy accessibility but off the main road would be nice, something kinda private.
Waste Bins on the property to help in clean up, and/or a recycle bin for use to deposit the lead, glass or other junk we clean out of the water, this would give us something to bring to the forest agency to show how much we actually help.
Picnic Tables on property, we could help with this.
A open minded individual owner.
Maybe even a few fire pits, we could help with this.
Lighting around the gathering areas and bathroom for evening use. Could be solar, so we would not have to have main power grid access.

I am sure I am missing a few things, but this is a good start.

Daryl Thomas
Jimmy Darrell Thomas
Blue Lightning Industries
darylt01@bellsouth.net
615-830-6990

Prospector Cody

• Board_Of_Directors
  • Jr. Member: 50 to 99 posts
    • Tn Prospecting
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
Decent Gold, Little river amount would be perfect  8) . I understand the ones who feel left our with no dredges and such, but for those who has dredges we have a large investment we cant use. Maybe we could do a season for dredging? Like Sept-March, the cold months where the people with class 1 can enjoy also. I would be okay with that. I dont have to just dredge, heck I bought my dredge and really have never used it. (Used once at loud mine). I would rather dredging be open all the time but if its an issue to class 1 i understand. I am content going to other places and prospecting. I have a motorhome so rv hook ups would be great but not required for me. Just my two cents. (Not worth two cents but there it is)
Cody Frye
GPAA Member
Tnprospecting.com

rolandslone

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:39 PM »
What is going on with the property that select people been invited to prospect? That would be a good stop.  Maybe primitive setup?

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
For my part I kind of feel like Daryl. If it were less than that I would still entertain it on a case by case basis. The only killer to me would be no gold and no camping. I could even deal with a day use, no camping property if the gold were good enough.

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

hillbillygold

• Board_Of_Directors
  • Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • GPAA; WEGM;Board member;Chapter Secretary 2017
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 10:55:04 PM »
Cody.... there is no gold left in Little River  ;D.                No one situation is going to satisfy all... but we have to have something. Not to knock out the RVs because I hope to have one myself soon but primitive camping is fine with me. I prospect to get away from all the crap I have to deal with every day so being close to nature suites me just fine but is getting a little rough to deal with after a long day to crawl in a tent and get a good nights rest. Decent gold is a must and access to it... I don't mind putting in the effort to get there and get it but not all that participate with us can do that. As far as dredging ... we have to have some river time if it is in and area we can do that... I agree with limiting it to the cooler months if necessary or even a certain sections... Sorry not all that dredge are bad .... it really grinds when you start hearing that. I have seen pans and sluicing do a lot more damage than I do over several days of dredging. Its the few irresponsible and disrespectful few that are making all look bad. Sorry ... not trying to turn this in to a griping page but sometimes things just need to be said.  :). permanent bathroom would be nice but not always feasible ... outhouses and port a potties work well also. Gems ,fossils, relics are all a plus if they are there. A structure for meetings would be nice but a covered area with some tables would work.       All the amenities would be nice but thats not always going to be.   

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 06:21:52 AM »
How much is "Decent Gold" at a minimum?  I am not trying to be stupid or play anyone with this question,  it is sincere.  From my estimates we were producing about $3-5/cu.yd. at Jimmy's.  Since everyone said there wasn't any gold there I assume it should be more than that, but how much more? 

rolandslone

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
I do it for the excercise and being outdoors some gold is better than none

jeff

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
just to clarify, i'm not against dredges. i just sold all of my highbanking and sluicing equipment to get back to basics. the reason it was so much work to get a permit is because people hate seeing the dredges in the creeks, plain and simple. i feel we could get a larger lease, with more potential for gold and the ability to expand in the future as far as camping and other facilities if we leave dredging out of the requirements. i'm pretty sure that's why we currently don't have a replacement for rooster ridge. i guess the thinking is a 4 acre lot with 15 or 20 dredges sucking it dry is better than a private 20 acre lot with no dredging. doesn't make sense.
                               jeff

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:15 AM »
I want to share the checklist I'm looking at at the moment.  It is not complete,  It is a "dream lease" list.  This doesn't mean that Everything on it is expected on every property,  it is a check list of what can be found.  Obviously the more Items on the property the better, but I am having trouble determining the minimum.  Be aware that Gold Assessment is separate from the sheet below.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:58:14 AM by chiptrip »

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »
The Checklist I submitted in the previous post is a very Rough Draft.  I welcome ANY suggestions for improvement.  This list has been shared with State Directors from all of the Country and Specifically the East, with the same request.

I KNOW I have missed things on this check list.  Please provide feed back.  This combined, with the "Decent Gold" Poll (http://cokercreekgpaa.com/forum/index.php/topic,3838.0.html) will provide very helpful tools as we look for Leases not just in Tennessee, but in the East in General.

Chip

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
We are gold prospectors. At this point, just to have a place that has gold and that has access to everyone is what we need. We do not have to have camping, toilets, showers, club houses, BBQs etc. We need a place where anyone can get to. Not hike miles up and down steep paths or drive down steep muddy roads.
Lets get the gold first, then worry about luxuries later.
Many of us have invested a lot of money in motorized equipment. It would be nice to get that equipment back in the water to.
Yes, both Class 1 & 2, but at this point I think everyone would just be happy with a decent panning area.
I remember how much fun it was when Family's took their Kids to Doc Rogers. It was an easy walk and anyone could find decent gold with just a shovel and pan. We need to find another place like that.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Chuck

Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

jeff

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »
thanks chuck, that's the point i've been trying to get across.

jeff

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
Yes, let's keep it simple right now and get everyone back in the water, even with just a shovel and pan.
Chuck
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

jeff

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »
i just noticed that i'm still a newbie. i've been on this forum since dec. of 2013 and still haven't reached 50 post's. lol.
i must be anti social.
                                        jeff

chiptrip

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
The beginning of this thread was not specific to Coker Creek.  While the discussion can and will be applied, this is not limited to only the single chapter.  I appreciate all of the interest to date.  Here are a couple of things that have come out of this.

First is that a panning only property is a viable location.  I would also suggest that a "dry" property that can be found, might also be a viable option.  By "Dry Property" I mean a property that may not have enough water flow to support our "normal" in-water prospecting but may still have a small branch or seasonal spring on it.  At least in the east water is cheap enough to bring to the site to fill panning tubs and recirculating systems.  Obviously this is not everything we'd like to have, but it is a place to start and it is also a place that may be affordable as a chapter lease.

The next thing is that this opens area that are not currently covered by the existing permit.  a Panning only property could be found in areas that have been traditionally overlooked in favor of a property that has access to dredging and highbanking.  These may or may not be in the Coker Creek area.  This allows us to expand our aggressive search to locations that may be in North Carolina, or even into Polk and Blount counties.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Please be aware as the winter season is upon us we are in a time of heavier research rather than field search so there may be fewer details emerging.

Chip

jeff

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
yes, thanks for listening. just having a good property to at least pan should be priority #1. then work our way up.

jeff

mountainmac

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »
Has anyone contacted the owners of the old GPAA property about 8-10 miles up the road from Roosting Ridge?  It used to be owned by a man named Beatty, was 70 acres, has the old gold mine on it and had plenty of places to park and camp along Coker Creek.  The GPAA let it go and then a local group, GGPA, picked it up.  They went under and a private group (Smokey Nugget) got it.  Mr. Beatty got really upset with this group and ended up selling the property to someone and moving away. I guess he got tired of people wanting to lease his property and then trash it.  I used to go there and dredge and always got good gold.     

Mac

Tom Twosocks

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
Now that is a GOOD Lead.

Woodspirit

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
Has anyone contacted the owners of the old GPAA property about 8-10 miles up the road from Roosting Ridge?  It used to be owned by a man named Beatty, was 70 acres, has the old gold mine on it and had plenty of places to park and camp along Coker Creek.  The GPAA let it go and then a local group, GGPA, picked it up.  They went under and a private group (Smokey Nugget) got it.  Mr. Beatty got really upset with this group and ended up selling the property to someone and moving away. I guess he got tired of people wanting to lease his property and then trash it.  I used to go there and dredge and always got good gold.     

Mac

Hi Mac,

Yes, this would make an excellent location for gold prospecting. Mr. Beatty sold the property to a man who lives in Chattanooga.  The new owner, Erwin Arnold, has been approached and does not want anyone on this property.

Take care