Author Topic: Update - Search for a new lease  (Read 162 times)

chiptrip

• Tennessee State Director
  • Administrator
  • Old Sourdough: 750-999 posts
  • (423) 371-3049 cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
Update - Search for a new lease
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »
I want to thank everyone for your patience in this process.  I know it has been a long and frustrating journey.  We have had a few times when our perceived progress was not accurate, and more immediate hope was expressed than should have been.  I apologize for that.  However hope is still there.  There have been a few new developments this fall that have expanded our possibilities.

I want to thank the volunteers who brought some of these opportunities to the table.  Many of them would never have become a discussion without their efforts.

Latest developments:

1) The search area is expanding beyond Coker Creek. This means that land we find outside of Coker Creek would be open to only class 1 (non-mechanized) prospecting, initially at least.

2) The poll for minimum "Decent Gold" will help determine what our testing requirements are, so please go to that survey and add your answer if you have not done so yet.

3) The property may be day use only (no camping onsite), and may be difficult to access though that is Not the goal.

4) Coker Creek village has loosened they prohibition with us slightly, allowing "pay-to-play" panning on meeting days ($15/person), within designated locations on the Creek.  This might not seem good but until about a year ago there was NO prospecting on the property at all.

5) We are continuing to develop relationships within the lcoal community, from local land owners, to NGO's, to government, to open a new location in Coker Creek.  This continues to be a slow process due to the amount of distrust many have for prospectors in general.

6) We are pursuing new avenues to open public land (not strictly national forest) to our activity, both in and Out of Coker Creek.  This is perhaps the most interesting avenue as it may open more area to us than initially anticipated.

Moving forward

Our members are our best resource.  You guys are the ones who actually can make or break our efforts here.  You can have a direct impact on our land search in the following ways.

1) Volunteering is Important.  The more active volunteers we have the more we can do in the community.  This helps build trust with the Community and speeds up our efforts tremendously.  There is also a Direct impact to those who volunteer as they meet local land owners and are invited to test their creeks once a relationship is built. 

2) Be on the look out for new opportunities for the chapter.  As recently as last month, a member found an opportunity to begin a relationship that could influence where we are allowed to prospect.  If you are uncomfortable with initiating this type of relationship share it with the Chapter.  This can include new land being opened,  to educational partnerships, to government meetings, to business partnerships.

3) Continue to follow the rules.  It would be unfortunate for us to go through the effort of rebuilding the trust we have in the community and finding new land, only to lose it due to a member failing to follow the rules by trespassing or not staying withing the limits of our permit.

4) Participate in fund raising efforts.  This is both at the Chapter and Community level.  The chapter may lease it's own land if that can be found.  To do this moneys must be available, so chapter fund raising is important.  We are also involved in fundraising within the community.  This is specific to the local elementary school.  We need members participation in these efforts to help build that bridge into the community and support the community where we prospect.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:42:08 AM by chiptrip »
Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
Re: Update - Search for a new lease
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
I would think that since we spent a lot of money on a permit to access Coker Creek that of course our priority should be there. Thanks for all you are doing Chip.
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

DGurley

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
  • GPAA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
Coker Creek is not the only creek that has Gold in it and dredging is not the only way to get the Gold out of the creek. Sometimes you just have to eat your lost and move on. Dredging in the Tellico area is a thing of the past or still a Dream for some people. The only way I see dredging coming back is for us is to buy a very large lot of property with Coker Creek on the land and we don.t have that money. So with that in mind find a good creek that has some gold in it that everyone can use to pan and sluice and camp and have a good time.

Just my 2 cents worth
The Outlaw
David Gurley

chiptrip

• Tennessee State Director
  • Administrator
  • Old Sourdough: 750-999 posts
  • (423) 371-3049 cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:54:52 AM »
I would think that since we spent a lot of money on a permit to access Coker Creek that of course our priority should be there. Thanks for all you are doing Chip.

Our First Priority is on Coker Creek.  However, the logistics of that just might not make it available in a short amount of time.  There are a few new developments there, but none of those are expected to open land within the next year, assuming they can be developed further.  I don't doubt that we will be able to find a property there but it is not going to be cheap.  We can have what we want but it will either take Lots of time, Lots of money, or Lots of effort.  Right now we are looking at Lot's of time, since we have limited funds and the amount of effort being spent on those relationships is at it's peak (this is where volunteers are most helpful).

On the plus side of things, there is now a general permit in place.  Once property is found, we can start the process of opening that property to Class 2 (Anywhere in the State!), assuming the land owner is agreeable.  The cost of a new permit is not nearly as high as it was when we received our initial permit, and we have almost none of the additional administrative costs associated with it.  Because it is a general permit, it is also something that can be put in place much more quickly.  By approaching this as a "Class 1" search this may open land in areas that have been traditionally very resistant to our efforts, specifically I'm thinking about Blount county.  I have recently met folks who own land at the Top of The World, and opened a discussion with them about prospecting in that area.  We will see where that leads...

Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

darylt01

• Chapter Treasurer 2017-2018
  • Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
Just a thought, What if we had 2 facilities to use. 1st Being what Chip described in his opening thread, a Class 1 day use property that is tied to a lease and the 2nd being a piece a land the chapter owns that is for dredging. I mean to me, this would be the best of both words and it would allow all prospectors to enjoy the water and the hobby without tripping over each other. 

Daryl Thomas
Jimmy Darrell Thomas
Blue Lightning Industries
darylt01@bellsouth.net
615-830-6990

Nuttinut

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:40:56 PM »
How is it Come on, let me know. I want to know the movement of it.

samcox

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • ck out my yt vids: Pastor Sam and Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »
tnpropertyviewer is a site i use to locate property. to see boundaries and to scout prospecting sites... this can also be used to attain addresses of owners for mailing inquiries about possible leases... little river has one place owned by a church that may be ideal it might be the perfect blount county spot... however the church address listed is incorrect and a personal visit would be needed... as a pastor i am not free to visit during their service times... happy hunting...
my videos on youtube are under Pastor sam and Victoria. I have several playlist so look at the prospecting list for some goofy prospecting vids, Be blessed, and enjoy!