Author Topic: South Coker Creek  (Read 4724 times)

Grey Hawk

South Coker Creek
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
I\'m new to the forum so this is my first post, I\'m a GPAA member and have camped at Coker Creek and done some panning and sluicing at Doc Rogers and surrounding areas with just a little color to show for it.

Anybody ever find any color down on Coker Creek near the Hiwassee River. I\'d like to camp down there and look around but if it\'s barren than I\'d rather be where there\'s some hope. I\'m coming up from FL and my time is limited. Not asking for anyone to share their mother lode or secret spot, just hoping to increase my odds and not waste what little time I\'ll have.

Great forum. I\'ve learned a lot.

One note. I have property in Colorado and have done some panning out there. Some friends and I  are looking into buying a 10 acre mining claim in the heart of gold country out there and if it pans out ( pun intended) I\'d open it to CC BPAA members.

Many thanks,

Grey Hawk

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
South Coker Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum Grey Hawk.

Yes, there is gold down at the Lower end of Coker Creek. I have found many pickers and small nuggets there, and have seen a few larger nuggets too (1 dwt+). It can be spotty and crevicing is the best method to find gold. The area from the end of the road down has been especially productive in the past, but is increasingly difficult to find gold with all of the activity there the past few years. I would recommend going upstream from the camping area 1/2 mile or more and starting there.

If you need any more info let me know.

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

oldman

• Jr. Member: 50 to 99 posts
South Coker Creek
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
Hi the nugget that I found was right below wolf den. 2 grams right where everone goes  

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
South Coker Creek
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
I saw another one about the same size come from down there last October. No more than 200 feet from where that one came from. They are there, but they are not easy to find and hard work to get.

Here is a picture of some pickers I found in 2008. Not 1 gram nuggets, but I\'ll take them.

Al
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748