Author Topic: Center Hill Dam  (Read 20162 times)

Jddank

Center Hill Dam
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »
Has anyone panned or dredged down from Center Hill Dam I have read a few articles where gold has been found so just wondered if anyone had any experience here.

Jddank

Center Hill Dam
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »
This is what I read and was wondering if anyone has had anyone tell them they have found gold first hand!
Placer gold can been recovered in the Caney Fork River about 5 miles below Center Hill Dam. The majority of the gold recovered here has been in the form of small grains, although there have been unverified reports of placer nuggets weighing 2-3 troy ounces recovered at this location. If this is true, the area below the dam may hold great potential for more experienced placer miners.

Auprospector

• Full Member: 100 to 249 posts
Center Hill Dam
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »
Where is the caney fork river, and the center hill dam ? I live in North Carolina one mile from the Tenn. border

Jddank

Center Hill Dam
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »
Its just about dead center of the state in between Nashville and Knoxville south of interstate 40.

truenorth

• Newbie: 0 to 49 posts
Center Hill Dam
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
 I believe the large nugget story is bull. However where the guy says he found it , there is a nice parking area with fast shallow water. The river was full of fly fisherman so we just looked around. Its only 45 min. from my home in M\'boro so I will have to get serious and check it out.

Jddank

Center Hill Dam
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
I live in Jamestown so I am not to far away either maybe I will see you there I will post if I have any luck hope you do the same if you want pm me take care thanks for the info!

digi

• MercuryBoarder
Center Hill Dam
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
I live in M\'boro too.  We checked out some sweet places below Rock Island in a perfect spot.  Found a ton of lead sinkers, spark plugs, and stinky water, but no gold.  I have found a few specks in Woodbury though, but not worth the effort.  Jdank, if you live in Jamestown you should locate Boatland drive heading into south fork stables.  There is a Jeep trail to get down to the Obed valley and after a couple river crossings there is a nice spring on the right.  I would love to try it, but no longer have a jeep or much time any more.  

samuel

Re: Center Hill Dam
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »
I fly fish on the caney Fork River below Center Hill dam very frequently. did anyone ever do any prospecting  here?

Goldtherapy

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
Has anyone checked this out yet?

I pass by on I-40 all the time but have never ventured down to that location.

If anyone can give me directions/info to the parking area mentioned above I will try to check it out. How deep is the water? Just seeing if I would need regular water boots or hip/chest waders?

Also, if anyone is interested in meeting up with me I should have some time either this coming weekend or the following week days.

Thanks and I hope to help solve this "mystery" gold story soon!

-Bryan

Not that this helps but I have panned between Cookeville/Livingston on the Roaring River and some feeder creeks with no luck and also on 111/27?? (several miles above Dunlap) going north from GA the "waterfall" area on the right. (if you have passed through you know what I'm talking about).

Goldtherapy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »

Not that this helps but I have panned between Cookeville/Livingston on the Roaring River and some feeder creeks with no luck and also on 111/27?? (several miles above Dunlap) going north from GA the "waterfall" area on the right. (if you have passed through you know what I'm talking about).

HEY get out of my back yard!!!!   :) :)
[/quote]

Hey I left already! No gold unless you dropped a jar on accident and if that's the case I'll help you find it. Haha

Goldtherapy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
I told a co-worker I would them prospecting so hopefully we will solve this gold below the dam mystery soon.
I read the account again today. I believe if I found a 3oz nugget I would keep the location to myself!

samuel

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »
I have tried one area there. It was when I first started prospecting. Never found any gold or black sand. I know that river quite well when it comes to fishing. I talked with a few locals that have left there for generations of their family, they seemed to think that somebody made that story up . Regardless it be nice to know.

cfry526

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38:31 PM »
Wow, I fly fish the Caney Fork all the time.  The next time im there i will pack my new gold pan along with my fly rod.

D-Ferguson

• Sr. Member: 250 to 499 posts
  • 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »
I want to try caney fork down around clifty road, its in the lower end of cumberland county near the white county line. used to help a guy with a motorcross track just up the road and we fished it all the time. never know
GPAA Member
GPOC member
WEGM member

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »
Go try it and give us a report. I have heard of several people finding some color in White County. (Yes, White County, Tennessee, not Georgia).
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

andy taylor

• Old Timer: 500 to 749 posts
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
ive heard same thing but havent had the chance to try that area yet.
if'n i had my druthers i'd druther be huntin' purdy yeller rocks.

Goldtherapy

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
Help!
Anyone with knowledge of this area I need your assistance on directions. (Yes I'm horrible at navigation)

I will be traveling from Nashville, I40 heading east I believe the exit for the dam is 268? Beyond that I need help

The report is gold was found 5miles below center hill dam.. Anyone know an easy access point near there?

Thanks for your assistance.

I will see what is there in the next 2-3 days.

-Bryan

ibethebig1

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
Help!
Anyone with knowledge of this area I need your assistance on directions. (Yes I'm horrible at navigation)

I will be traveling from Nashville, I40 heading east I believe the exit for the dam is 268? Beyond that I need help

The report is gold was found 5miles below center hill dam.. Anyone know an easy access point near there?

-Bryan

http://www.bedrockdreams.com/2008/09/gold-in-southeast-tennessee.html

http://paydirtusa.webs.com/tennessee.htm

I found that info, hope it helps

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
Most of this is just stuff that is repeated over and over based on comments that one person posted years ago. My personal opinion is that the Caney Fork nugget story is a hoax.
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

Goldtherapy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
I stopped by today and the easiest access point I found was Happy Hollow boat ramp. The water was too deep in this area to do much of any prospecting but I did see a bunch of trout suspended near the ramp.

Closer to the highway the river narrows and splits into a few branches, before coming back together, but I'm not sure how to access it there because it looks like private property.

Further down there is another access point (I think) but it looked gated. So I'm really not sure how to gain access in an area that is shallow enough to prospect. I do not want to get shot or wet considering it's in the 20's here.

Any info would be great.

-Bryan

DALEBEC

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
I stopped by today and the easiest access point I found was Happy Hollow boat ramp. The water was too deep in this area to do much of any prospecting but I did see a bunch of trout suspended near the ramp.

Closer to the highway the river narrows and splits into a few branches, before coming back together, but I'm not sure how to access it there because it looks like private property.

Further down there is another access point (I think) but it looked gated. So I'm really not sure how to gain access in an area that is shallow enough to prospect. I do not want to get shot or wet considering it's in the 20's here.

Any info would be great.

-Bryan

OH COME ON BRYAN, take one for the team. lol

Goldtherapy

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
OH COME ON BRYAN, take one for the team. lol

Yeah no problem! haha

No, I doubt I'm going to solve this mystery gold anytime soon. The river looks too high right now unless someone can give me another location.

-Bryan

ratttn

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
Go try it and give us a report. I have heard of several people finding some color in White County. (Yes, White County, Tennessee, not Georgia).

Where on earth would one look for gold in white county tn?!? Would love to know more, I'm very close to that area :)

D-Ferguson

• 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »
funny thing about gold, it can be where you least expect to find it. and sometimes it's  not where it should be. so I guess it really is where you find it.
GPAA Member
GPOC member
WEGM member

samuel

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 05:16:05 AM »
before you go, you are going to want to check the generation schedule on the tva.gov  website. if they are running 1 or more generators, the water will be too high for you to have easy access anywhere. it is going to be hard to find a window because they generally run a lot of water in the winter time. when the water is down there are access points up and down the whole river

D-Ferguson

• 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
this end of caney fork is the head waters about 30 miles to center hill lake so its before the lake and you only have to worry about heavy rains .
GPAA Member
GPOC member
WEGM member

Clank T.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »
Help!

-Bryan

You can first get off at the rest area, comming from nashville you will go right then go under the interstate to the rest area look for the parking area for anglers, follow trails to river, if the water is fast STAY OUT! it will drop when they stop generating.
the next thing you can do is get back on the interstate going east, get off at next exit (Buffalo Valley) stay right and go about a mile or so to Happy Hollow area on the right, walk down to river.

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
Another thing you can find there is Fluorite. Nice purple or yellow specimens on Sphalerite.
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748

Xaero

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
So, yea, I know I am digging up an old post (irony, right?).  Has anyone found any gold here yet?  This area just sparked my interest again.

Just to expand on this one (gold in White County TN).  Maybe around GOLDen Mountain?  The name itself could have a meaning!  Cherry creek (along Cherry Creek Road) is the closest creek to this small hill of a mountain.  It's cutting into the side by the looks of the topography map.  The gold could also be coming from east of the Burgess State Park but from my armchair prospecting view I don't see anything that sticks out as "HERE THE GOLD BE".
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:31:04 AM by Xaero »

andy taylor

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 06:46:24 AM »
alot of times creek names as well as ridges and other topographical features will give hints to things around the area..copper hill wasnt named for all the potatoes being grown there.this isnt always the case but sometimes researching the local history can give you some interesting info.
if'n i had my druthers i'd druther be huntin' purdy yeller rocks.

D-Ferguson

• 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
took a trip down to the clifty area on caney fork, tried a couple places and one spot I found was loaded with bird shot.( around 35-40 pieces in 1 pan) never seen so much lead in one spot. most of what I remembered as black sand was coal dust mixed with the sand. As soon as you start panning the black went out first. that place could use a good dredging just to remove the lead. bet you could get 3-5 gal just in that one area. and they say we mess up the water. lol
GPAA Member
GPOC member
WEGM member

jjfish1

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »
When thinking og the Caney creek gold possibilities think of where this creek comes from ;o) anyone ever heard of and or been to Burgess Falls? this may help if you look at this area.

D-Ferguson

• 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:04 AM »
yup was over there a couple weeks back, but the park ranger wasn't sure about it so he said no. might could come by small boat from down stream to the first fall but would still be breaking there rules.
GPAA Member
GPOC member
WEGM member

samuel

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 02:22:54 AM »
I wonder why this topic has so many views. Dwarfs most of the other threads.

chiptrip

• Administrator
  • cokercreekprospector@gmail.com
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:35 AM »
Sam,  My guess is the "3oz Nugget" alleged to have been found in the Caney.  That tale can be found on a lot of other sites, and a good search of the subject will turn up this thread.
Coker Creek Chapter President 2015-2017

D-Ferguson

• 865-304-1014 cell
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
that 3 oz nugget was probably lost by someone trying to cross the river on there way back from Georgia during the 1800's . ::)
GPAA Member
GPOC member
WEGM member

DGurley

• GPAA Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Mr. D that is what happen it is MY nugget where can I pick it up at.

8)
David Gurley

samuel

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
that 3 oz nugget was probably lost by someone trying to cross the river on there way back from Georgia during the 1800's . ::)
i'd say you are spot on. that is what got me started prospecting and caused me to join this forum actually haha. i have talked a lot with the locals that i know that have lived for generations in that area (buffalo valley) and families were the first to settle the area. they all laughed about the gold story. one told me about an earthquake (the new madrid i believe) that caused a giant wall of water to rush up the whole river system causing massive devastation. before i knew about prospecting i was fly fishing on the rive one day and had some people floating down with fins and masks on pass me. recalling it now i realize that they were using sucker tubes and sniping.

when i first prospected there with my new gear, including a keene a51, i got very excited panning down my cons and seeing gold in my pan! turns out it was just fragments of the welds on the new riffles getting knocked off. the color of the metal they use is very close to that of gold :P

centerhill

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 05:58:44 AM »
Our family farm is the first private property west of the dam on the north side of the river. Over the years there have been literally hundreds of folks that have asked to use our property to pan and dredge for gold. We have allowed a few (very few) access, but we do not control the river access.

Most everyone around here thinks that gold nugget story is BS, but there have been a few folks that found a little dust in their pans after a lot of hard work. I have personally seen maybe a quarter ounce in total over the years.

Along the river on our property there was a large native american village that survived up until the early 1800's, and several large burial mounds that were dug out by thieves many years ago. There are legends about a small pot that was dug out of one of the mounds before the civil war that was filled with gold nuggets and ear rings that had been crudely formed. Those legends are generally thought of as being BS, too...but I can tell you that some of the old pot shards and artifacts can still be found when we plow the fields. My Dad dug up a large pot that was filled with arrowheads and other tools back in the 70's, but no gold. We have never found anything that looked like gold. My Mom has thousands of arrowheads in several old cigar boxes.

samuel

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
Is your dad the one that i see some times up on that little plowed plot over looking the river? i've always wanted to ask him why he chucks his beer bottles over the bluff face and yells at people that bank their boats on that side for a brief stop. "we do not control river access"... are you sure he knows that?