Author Topic: The Doc Rogers area of Coker Creek  (Read 3904 times)

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
The Doc Rogers area of Coker Creek
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
Many have asked me to post detailed information about the Doc Rogers area of Coker Creek. Here it IS! Please try and visit this area after you visit our GPAA property. You must be a GPAA member to use our property. Anyone can use the Doc Rogers area!
For those of you that do not know about Doc Rogers, it is land open to the public for recreation, horse back riding, gold prospecting, fishing and hiking. It is under the management of the Tellico Ranger District. I will only talk about recreational prospecting here.
You can gold pan, sluice, dig, run a sucker tube and hunt for gold in the Doc Rogers area of Coker Creek 365 days a year. You can only dredge or use any other mechanical mining equipment from Sept 1st to Feb 28. (These are new rules as of 2012). There is now a "12" rule at Doc Rogers. You can only dig in the water 12" away from any creek bank. You can NOT dig anywhere that is not covered with water. That even means in the water if there is an area with gravel or dirt that is out of the water (due to a low creek level) you can't dig there until water covers it. You can't dig anywhere outside of the creek either. This means no digging at all if the ground is not cover by water. Also no metal detecting anywhere. You MUST fill in any holes you dig in the creek! You may NOT pick up ANY artifact in or out of the water. This means arrow heads, other Indian items and war relics. You MAY pick up trash and carry it out of the area. Please do not ask me how old the items must be to remove them. Use good judgment here and you will be fine. A total list of rules are posted on our Forum page about what you can and can't do in the Tellico Ranger District. Please not that the "rules sign" posted near the Doc Rogers parking lot is out of date. I hope the Rangers update it soon. All you normally need here is a gold pan, shovel and sluice box. Simple waders are fine and when it is warm, you can stay in the water for hours.
You need a permit to operate any mechanical mining equipment anywhere in the Tellico Ranger District. The permit is free and the information is also posted on our Forum.  These rules do NOT cover Polk County! (The lower falls area of Coker Creek) as they are in Polk County.
There are two ways to get to the Doc Rogers area. Both are off of TN Hwy 68. The Doc Rogers area is behind the town of Coker Creek, about 3 3/4 miles North of our GPAA property. There is a road just North of the shops in Coker Creek. It is called Unicoi Lakes Road, CR-616). Go East and look for where the road crosses Coker Creek. There is a small area to park (3 to 4 cars) just past the creek on the left. There is no other parking near by. Walk either North or South along the creek and prospect. Just South of the stores in Coker Creek is a road called Joe Brown Hwy, CR-618. Go East for a short distance and look for a dirt road to the left. CR-11791. Turn left and park in the large dirt lot. Walk over to and read the large posted sign. Then take the path through the field to Coker Creek. (Note: there is a small feeder creek here). Cross that creek and then walk left along Coker Creek. You can walk all the way to CR-616. It is ok to prospect anywhere along Coker Creek BUT beware there is private land there too. Do not cross over the main creek. Stay on the West side. This area is not posted very well. Remember the 12" rule. Do NOT prospect within 12" of either creek bank. There is a Tellico Ranger Law Enforcement Officer that patrols all areas and he will fine you big time if you break the rules. When in Coker Creek please visit the local shops. There is a mining supply store there on the West side of Hwy 68. (They just moved across the street to another building). They carry basic mining supplies. You can also buy some mining supplies at the Coker Creek Welcome center.
I hope I have given you some basic information about the Doc Rogers area. If I made any errors here, please let me know and I will fix them.
Comments welcome.
Good luck and have FUN!
Chuck Pharis

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:13:42 AM by Chuck Pharis »
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]

hira2

The Doc Rogers area of Coker Creek
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:23:13 AM »
 :tongue: yes,They carry basic mining supplies. You can also buy some mining supplies at the Coker Creek Welcome center.
I hope I have given you some basic information about the Doc Rogers area. If I made any errors here, please let me know and I will fix them.  :cool:

Chuck Pharis

• Ex President. Now Board Member
  • Administrator
  • One foot in the grave. 1750 to 1,999 posts
  • Please do not text me. I do not use text.
    • Chuck Pharis Video
Re: The Doc Rogers area of Coker Creek
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »
Dredging season opens at Doc Rogers on Sept 1st 2012 and closes on Feb 28, 2013.
Since we are under a Statewide dredging ban, the Doc Rogers area, the Tellico Ranger District and our GPAA leased property are the only places in the State of Tennessee where you can dredge. All private land is currently closed.
If you plan to be at the Doc Rogers area during opening week, beware that the Rangers and the State will be there too. We plan to also have some GPAA members out there to help remind prospectors of  the written rules. Please read them and don't do anything stupid. All eyes are on us now!
Please be aware that the water level is very low in the creek. First come, first served. Come early or the night before to get a decent spot. Remember there is a distance rule between dredges and a 12" rule from the banks.
The Tellico Ranger District rules are posted on this forum.
Remember the basic rule, pack it in, pack it out!
If this area is damaged, we might lost it to recreational prospecting.
Chuck Pharis
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:42:36 AM by Chuck Pharis »
Chuck Pharis
East Tennessee Coker Creek GPAA Chapter President (June 19, 2010 to June 20, 2015)  Member of the Board Of Directors.
GPAA Lifetime member, Former LDMA[/size]