Author Topic: Lower Coker Creek (Updated 5/27/12)  (Read 3205 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Lower Coker Creek (Updated 5/27/12)
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
Lower Coker Creek

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Ocoee Ranger District, Polk County, TN.

This is the area of Coker Creek that goes from its mouth at the Hiwassee River up toward Coker Creek Falls.

GPS Coordinates: 35.17861, -84.39161

Access: 
From Tellico Plains follow 68 South through Coker Creek until you come to the Ironsburg community. Turn right onto Ironsburg road and go approximately 3/4 mile and turn left at the cemetery onto Duckett Ridge Road. Follow Duckett Ridge road for about one mile to the NF boundary. It will become Forest Service Road 22. From here continue on 22 for approximately 4 1/2 miles until 22 makes a hairpin right turn. At this point stay straight on to 22B. Follow 22B approximately 1.8 miles to the end. You can park at the upper parking area if you have ground clearance issues with your vehicle or continue down to the lower parking area. Both are good camping locations, but don?t expect to find any facilities.

Regulations: No Dredging is allowed. Sluicing and panning are allowed without a permit. Always take a hand sucker to this location or you will wish you did.

Where and how to find the gold:  There is fine gold in here as well as flakes and occasional pickers and nuggets. This is the best location in the area for larger pieces of gold. There is exposed bedrock in all locations and lots of it in most. The better gold will be in bedrock cracks and depressions. Some gravel bars will show small amounts of fine gold. The gold can be hard to find, but it is there. I have personally seen two nuggets in the 2 gram class come from here in the past two years, and one over 1 gram, and many in the 1/4 to 3/4 gram range.

From the parking area it is about 1/2 mile downstream to the Hiwassee River. From the parking area it is 3 miles upstream to the Falls. I recommend hiking upstream on the trail and checking out some of the more remote areas. The scenery alone is worth the hike. The trail can be steep in places and there are several places where the trail hovers over 100 feet above the creek.

I am adding a photo at the end of this post. On Friday May 25, I met some GPAA members at our property. I sent them to the area Al describes here. In 3 hours he found the gold in the last photo!!!!!
Chuck Pharis

And I am going to add another. The nugget shown on the dollar bill was found at this location by Tim Jordan in October 2010. The weight is 1.73 grams (1.12 dwt). Woo-Hoo, that's a biggun'

And yet another found by a member named Randy also in October 2010. It's the one on George's head and weighs 2 grams.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:01:19 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748