Author Topic: Wildcat Creek  (Read 3694 times)

BigAl

• Chapter President
  • Administrator
  • 49er. 1000 to 1249 posts!
    • My Website
Wildcat Creek
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
Wildcat Creek

Land Status: Public; Cherokee National Forest, Tellico Ranger District, Monroe County.

Access:  There are several ways to access Wildcat Creek. First you can cross Tellico River during low water conditions. Just follow 165 to the Wildcat Overlook and park there. Walk upstream and cross in a shallow location.

There are several points that can be accessed by trail, but I have only done three so I will only list them here.

GPS Coordinates: 35.33921, -84.25003

First location:  From Tellico Plains take 165 (Cherohala Skyway) approximately 2 miles and go right on Old Furnace Road. (This will be directly across from Tellico beach). Go 1.6 miles to the pull off on the left. You will see a trail going down on the same side as the pull off. Follow the trail (Old logging road grade) down to the top of the spur (ridge). From there go right down the hill into the ravine. As of April 2012 there are orange blaze markers on the trees that you can follow. When you enter the ravine follow it down to the creek. Total distance is approximately 4/10 of a mile. Total elevation change is around 300 feet. This is remote and steep. Be careful. The hike out can be rough if you are not in shape or have physical limitations.

GPS Coordinates: 35.32409, -84.24342

Second location: Pass the first location and go approximately 1 1/2 miles (3.0 miles total from 165). Look for a trail heading down on the left just before a right hand bend in the road. The parking will be just before the bend on the left. This is Warriors Passage trail. Follow this trail downhill and take care to follow the trail as several other trails split off and the trail is not well marked. The total distance is 1.1 miles and the elevation change is about 300 feet. It?s not as steep as the first location, but the extra distance more than makes up for it. Pack minimal equipment for this trip or take a pack mule. You can also access this same location by going to the 3.6 mile point and parking at the pull-off and following the trail down. This trail will intersect the Warriors Passage trail a ways down. Total distance will be about 7/10 of a mile.

Third location:  From Tellico Plains take 165 (Cherohala Skyway) approximately 2 miles and go right on Old Furnace Road. (This will be directly across from Tellico beach). Go 2.2 miles and you will see a gated road / trail going down to the right. Park there, (do not block the gate), and take the trail down the hill on the left. (This will be opposite the gate). Total distance is approximately 3/10 of a mile. Total elevation change is around 300 feet. This is remote and steep. Be careful. The hike out can be rough if you are not in shape or have physical limitations. The scenery here is spectacular.

Regulations: No Dredging is allowed. Standard Class I rules (no motorized hand tools).

Where and how to find the gold:  There is plenty of fine gold in here as well as flakes and occasional pickers. There is ample bedrock so definitely take a sucker tube. The better gold will be in bedrock cracks and depressions. Some gravel bars will show good amounts of fine gold. The gold can be hard to find at times. Keep moving and sampling until you find it.

I have found good quantities of gold at all three listed locations. Despite rather hard access, the spots closest to the access points have been hit pretty hard. If you "hit the trail" and hike in to more remote, less worked areas I think there would be a very good chance for some really good gold.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:20:54 PM by BigAl »
Coker Creek Chapter President
Former Coker Creek GPAA Chapter Vice President (Sept 2008-June 2014)
atrotter3563@yahoo.com
www.ProspectorAl.com
YouTube.com/prospectoral
(865) 748-9818
GPAA Membership # 240748